Feature discussion, 2012

Page: 123

Responses

1. Wildbow (Member)

Posted 7 years ago

I phrased that badly, in the first response to quoted text, above. I meant a normal search, then the advanced search might have clearer checkboxes or the drop-down menu already unfolded.

Also, while I admit this does contradict the last point of my reply, above, but what if there was a section where a completed web serial could note length (both in chapters and if the author so desired, # of words?). I admit that not knowing the length of a work is kind of a personal barrier to entry, for me. I'd be much more inclined to review a 50 chapter completed serial over a 300 chapter one.

2. M.C.A. Hogarth (Member)

Posted 7 years ago

I think privileging Completed Works is brilliant, personally. I wish there was a handier way to get into the Just Updated feed; the RSSes I've submitted in the past haven't passed muster, since Livejournal apparently generates poor RSS. But "Frequently Updated" would be another good criterion for privilege in my book.

3. Alice (Blocked)

Posted 7 years ago

I'd be fine with contacting news websites and trying to convince them to do a piece/article on web fiction, but I think it might be worth holding off on for the moment. At least until any major updates to WFG are finished. If the point is to get publicity for the site, then it'd be for the best if that new publicity has a chance to experience the site with whatever improvements are implemented from the discussion here.

I'm afraid I haven't got a clue when it comes to web design or the like, but a lot of the suggestions here sound really good.

4. Chris Poirier (Moderator)

Posted 7 years ago

Okay, I've redone the review headers to add Gravatars and listing links. I tried to do OpenID, but ran into some problems with my anti-spam plugins, so it will have to wait until I sort it out. Maybe next weekend.

@Alice I think waiting until we have something worth talking about is certainly a good idea.

@MCA what I'm planning for the new software will allow you to manually post new episode links to the listing. In the short term, resubmit your RSS feeds and I'll take another look.

More during the week. Let me know if you notice any issues with the changes.

Chris

5. Wildbow (Member)

Posted 7 years ago

The gravatars are a really nice touch. My compliments. It adds... personalities? Far easier to apply identities to the reviews.

6. Kess (Member)

Posted 7 years ago

@Chris - thanks for all your work on this site. I appreciate all the work you put in, not only in maintaining it but improving it, too! I wish that I could offer to help out. Sadly, I barely have time to get my web serial done these days. If only we could ditch the day job, right?

I get a very steady flow of click-throughs from WFG to my web serials, so it's definitely a resource worth keeping. Just so you know! I think this site is a fantastic resource, and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in web fiction, reading or writing.

Love the new look reviews. Definitely an improvement. Incentives are always good!

The idea of promoting complete works is great, too; I know many readers who will only read a web serial when they know it's finished, because they can't stand it when they stop partway through! The addition of final stats/size seems like a good plan (Wildbow's suggestion above).

7. Miladysa (Member)

Posted 7 years ago

Looking good :)

8. Tim Sevenhuysen (Member)

Posted 7 years ago

Just wanted to chip in with my approval of the tweaks to the layout of the front page. Looks good!

Special People: superhero fiction with a fistful of twists.
    http://SpecialPeople.TimSevenhuysen.com
  9. Shutsumon (Member)

Posted 7 years ago

I really must get back to doing Web Fiction Wednesday Reviews and posting them here after my holiday. :-)

You must log in to post.