Plans for 2013?

6 years ago | G.S. Williams (Member)

People were putting their "2012 in review" posts up and I didn't have a lot to say, my year has been personally busy with babies and work, but my writing dwindled significantly for the first time since I started writing online back in 2007.

So, instead, I want to put up my plans for 2013, and encourage others to show what they've got in store for the new year.

1. Get back to writing (this week)

2. Post a weekly longer chapter of "The Surprising Life and Death of Diggory Franklin" to establish a schedule and a routine (hopefully tomorrow and then ongoing)

3. Start a new story as a palate cleanser, and to get creative juices flowing -- STAY TUNED!

4. Get "Trepidation of the Spheres" working (biweekly schedule, three month plan)

5. Revise the Samaritan Project for improvements, then finally submit it to WFG (six month plan)

Read responses...

Page: 123

Responses

1. ubersoft (Member)

Posted 6 years ago

My plans:

1. Show them.

2. Show them all.

3. Practice villain laugh.

4. Scope out dormant volcanoes for secret lair (this is a long-term project).

Curveball (Updating)
    A Rake by Starlight (Updating)
  2. Wildbow (Member)

Posted 6 years ago

1. Wrap up Worm.

2. Move on to something new.

3. Watch my fanbase crumble away when the new story just isn't as good.

4. Slowly rebuild, despair.

On a more serious note (which isn't to say that isn't exactly what I'm expecting):

5. Start making contacts, beginning with going to these Canadian Author's Association summer/christmas parties I missed all through 2011 due to circumstances. People in the publishing world, people who can give me advice, maybe find a nemesis.

6. Track down GSW next time I'm in his general area, get away from my family (which is why I'd be in that general area), buy him a drink or go grab a tea or something, talk writing.

7. See what I can do to adjust my writing habits and write -more-. I struggled with writing three updates (4k words+ each) a week, but I do want to eventually make money doing this, and I can't do that if I'm cutting back on how many donation incentives I'm giving out because of bad writing habits.

3. SgL (Member)

Posted 6 years ago

1. Finish current arc in Q1.
    2. Go crazy mid year with getting book ready for epublication
    3. Decide whether to do a collector's print run (i.e., with new illustrations)
    4. Plot the next arc like crazy
    5. Refuel my batteries. I want to go to SDCC or NYCC and just look at everyone's books. And I want to come up with a plan for next year based on previous steps :/

6. Contemplate whether to do a webcomic version (or intro chapter) to put story in front of other audiences
    7. Write some horrible trashy historical romance set in turn of the century Japan under another name. (Or rewrite a fanfic set in this period to stand on its own as an original work?)

8. Travel. TRAVEEELLLLLLL.

4. DaringNovelist (Member)

Posted 6 years ago

There are too many distractions in this world. You can't simply eliminate them. So this year's overriding goal is to retrain my brain to come back on task after distractions. And I've come to the conclusion that the very best way in the world to do that... is to have a very narrow, single-minded goal.

This goal (if it is to do the job of forming new habits) has to be tough enough that you can never just do it quickly and move on to other things -- it has to force you to come back to it multiple times. But it also can't be so tough that you don't achieve it most of the time. (Because every time you fail to achieve a goal, the less emotionally important it becomes to achieve it.)

So to that end, my goal is:

*2500 words a day in the A Round Of Words in 80 Days challenge (which will start January 6).*

I'm not setting a total goal, because the goal isn't to achieve 200k words in three months. It's to achieve new habits. So if something prevents me from meeting the goal one day, it doesn't matter the next day. It's not about yesterday or tomorrow, it's about now.

I'm using three tools to achieve this:

*A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80) which is a very flexible quarterly challenge that is focused on making writing a daily habit.

*Rachel Aaron's blog post (and now ebook) on how she went from writing 2k a day to 10k a day. Part of her method is about prep time. Which leads me to the third tool....

*Scrivener for note taking/outliining.

Let me first add that I HATE HATE HATE Scrivener as a word processor or writing tool. It makes Word look wonderful, and I despise Word. But as a note taking tool? It's primo! Oh, not the "helpful" tools it includes on the side. (The sidebar space they provide for outline, notes and metadata is uselessly inadequate, imho. Or worse, contain forced fields that are useless to what I'm doing.)

It's the areas you are supposed to use for the actual writing itself -- the text window and the binder -- that are the ideal equivalent of note cards. Lots of room to write, and the ability to group and nest info in any way you want. And then completely redo it in an instant by dragging things around. Everything in one place, easily accessible, in the order you left it, so that you could go away and forget everything for ten months and still come right back to where you were.

So this week I am hammering out the notes and outlines for two novels, working in particular on the enthusiasm points (things that make the writing and the fun) for both stories. If this goes well, I'll use it to create a series bible for the world of Misplaced Hero, and probably start hammering out this summer's serial too.

Camille

5. Amy Kim Kibuishi (Member)

Posted 6 years ago

It's so inspiring to read everyone's goals for the coming year. Great post!

1) Never give up. Never surrender.

2) Restart my graphic novel career after a 5 year hiatus (use it as my primary job)

3) Use my writing skills to make the most AWESOME COMIC ever made for girls in the US.

4) Continue writing Rema as hobby and posting it online.

5) Start writing Rema book 2

6) Continue improving the Rema website and building the readership.

7) Release and ebook version

8) If there's enough traffic to the site, campaign for a print version with bonus material

Hmmm one too many goals perhaps! haha~ Mostly I will be playing it by ear, and just focusing on completing my two projects, Rema and *super sekrit magical girl graphic novel series*.

6. Jim Zoetewey (Moderator)

Posted 6 years ago

Goals:

1. Get further on Legion of Nothing serial.
    2. Revise and publish book two and three of Legion.
    3. Get further on my side project novel (as in finish a novel I started writing and then rewriting in college).
    4. Website revision which should include:
    --an author site/blog that is different from Legion of Nothing with the purpose of promoting the Legion of Nothing novels as well as other novels
    --writing a Wordpress plugin for displaying stories better than vanilla Wordpress installations
    --a forum

Daring Novelist: Just for the record, I really like Scrivener. For me, at least, it makes writing a lot easier. I'd agree that it doesn't have as many features as Word, but since most of those don't help me when writing, I don't miss them. I do wish it were easier to share documents with others and incorporate their suggestions and corrections. It doesn't do that very easily at all.

7. M.C.A. Hogarth (Member)

Posted 6 years ago

I like Uber's list. ^.^

I still haven't put down my 2013 goals because I haven't finished crunching financial numbers on the 2012 projects. Sadly I don't think I'll have enough data to really make good projections, what with only starting audiobooks halfway through 2012; as it is they look like a better gamble than print books (!) but I suspect that's not going to hold out in the future. We shall see.

8. DaringNovelist (Member)

Posted 6 years ago

Jim: You don't understand. I don't want more features, I want FEWER features, or at least fewer features underfoot. I normally write in a plain text editor.

In particular (without going off on a twenty page rant) I hate it's faux file management paradigm -- the very thing that makes it good as a notes database kills it for me as a writing program. It uses a propriety format. (Yeah, yeah, it exports just fine. I don't want exports and translations. I want a text or html file. One that can be edited in any program at any time without exporting or importing.)

Word is horrible, but Scrivener, imho, is just as bad... at least as a word processor. But as I said, so far, I'm loving it as an outliner / note taker.

Camille

9. Jim Zoetewey (Moderator)

Posted 6 years ago

Daring Novelist: I suspect the reason it works well for me is that it's very similar to a programming IDE (Integrated Development Environment)--the sort of program that a programmer works in all the time. I'm guessing that it was actually inspired by IDE's as the person who created it as his personal writing environment is a programmer by profession.

As a result, the file management paradigm doesn't bother me at all. That's more or less how your average IDE handles a project. It's actually much less complicated than I'm used to (as Scrivener--alas--doesn't include version control).

For what it's worth, Scrivener does store all its files in rich text format (rtf files, used all over since the late 1980's or so), something that can be edited in Word as well as Wordpad, and many other editors. Using Dropbox, I can edit my files on Mac, Linux, my iPad, and on Windows without any real effort or problems. The challenge, of course, is that when I'm using a computer that isn't running Scrivener I have a hard time recognizing the file I want as all the rtf documents are numbered instead of named and I just have to guess which is the one I care about.

10. ubersoft (Member)

Posted 6 years ago

I'm with ya, Jim. I use Scrivener and like it. But not every tool is for everyone.

Curveball (Updating)
  11. DaringNovelist (Member)

Posted 6 years ago

Jim: Ah, you might be right. I assumed that the programmers were screenwriters, because the tools all feel shaped specifically to suit screenwriting. (I haven't tried the screenwriting features, but if I ever go back to screenwriting, I might use Scrivener rather than Hollywood Screenwriter.)

And that's actually what I dislike about it: It feels like it's pushing a paradigm. It's not a tool which adapts well to workflows other than those which the programmers imagined.

And I'm now going to shut up before I start waxing poetic about my dream word processor....

Camille

12. Jim Zoetewey (Moderator)

Posted 6 years ago

Ubersoft: Absolutely. I'm not arguing that it should be. When Camille argues that it's horrible as a word processor though, I can't help, but be curious why. In my experience, it allows me to put words in and take them out as easily as any text editor.

Knowing though that the major problem she has with it is the file management and editing in other programs... Well, that I can see. When I ultimately shared my stuff with others for editing, it was a bit of a pain.

Camille: Waxing poetic might be useful at some point. Particularly if you talk to someone willing to put it into practice.

I've occasionally felt like creating a writing program. I'm not planning to at present because I'm more or less happy with Scrivener, but I still think about features I'd like to put into it.

13. M.C.A. Hogarth (Member)

Posted 6 years ago

Having finally crunched numbers, my realistic 2013 goals:

1. Finish 1 serial, start another.

2. Do one year of the web comic

3. Do a regular podcast.

4. Issue at least 3 audiobooks.

5. Issue at least 5 e-books.

6. Issue at least 4 print books.

If you want to see my work through the budgetary numbers, the post is here: http://mcahogarth.org/?p=9912

14. ubersoft (Member)

Posted 6 years ago

Let us know when you start your podcast so I can plug it!

Curveball (Updating)

Reply »

You must log in to post.