A decision to be made...

If you look at my site (Firebird Fiction) you see that along with "The Dragon Wars Saga" I've listed "The Haventon Chronicles". They've been coming soon for 18 months now.

As of today the situation is as follows:

I am approximately 5-10k words from the end of the first Haventon novel (it's going to be about 60k and thus a tad too long to be a novella). I just need to write the climax, denouement and epilogue.

Now I'm trying to make a decision and I want some advice from fellow web authors.

Should I:

a: Start serialising now (well the start of July) and edit as I go? This would give me stuff going up 5 days a week which has an obvious advantage in audience building. I'd need to find a beta reader since my beta on Dragon Wars has enough on her plate with three parts of dragon wars a week to edit and the genre likely isn't her cup of tea. (And I absolutely would need a beta - I fail at punctuation).

b: Edit the entire thing before I start releasing it. Would mean less chance of schedule slip (though in 18months of Dragon Wars I haven't slipped once *touches wood* but would delay the launch further. I already feel bad about how long it's been "coming soon".

c. Edit and get it professionally edited first. Would allow me to sell it as an ebook while serialising it but would delay launch even more, and it would cost me money. (If it comes down to this one it'll likely be a case of "Hello, IndieGoGo".

Thoughts?

Becka

I lean toward more of a combination of A and C (sounds strange, I know). Do you have anyone with editorial background that's a friend you could tap to do your editing so you can turn it into an ebook without having to pay an arm and a leg for someone to copyedit it for you? You could use the serial as sort of a teaser for the work at large, and when the editorial process is done, release it as an ebook for those willing to pay to get the whole story right now right now right now.

Does that make sense?

Erin: What you're talking about is almost exactly what I'm working on right now. Currently Gavin's looking over what I've written, but I'm likely to get other reflections on what I've done too--especially once I do some minor structural changes and additions. I'm friends with a few people who work in publishing, and hope to get some unpaid labor out of them.