A question about self-published versions of serials...

So I was wondering if you decide to self-publish your serial...assuming you split it up into multiple books, would it be alright to mention in the book the website you write the serial on?

I guess this would really only apply if you were currently writing the serial...so for example if you've finished book one and self-published an ebook of it, and are currently writing book two on the site, would it be considered alright, at the end of the ebook to put in a little note saying 'you can read book two at ______' or would putting in a link make it look....I don't know, distractingly unprofessional?

What do you think?

If you are self publishing I don't see why not. Take my advice with a grain of salt of course since I haven't looked into self publishing yet.

I hope it's not unprofessional. That's exactly what I did.

Actually, I did more than that. I mentioned WFG and a few other serials I liked, explaining that there was a community of writers and readers out of which the book came. My assumption is first of all that I benefit if people start reading my serial, and that secondly, web fiction in general needs the exposure.

As a reader of ebooks, having links to free stuff in something I've paid for is lovely.

Many writers include links to their author sites, so why not? Your serial is your author page most of the time.

If someone buys your work and likes it, its in everyone's best interests to give them access to more.

If they come to your serial because of it then they and you have a chance to open a dialogue you can then find out from your readers if they liked that the link was there.

I would do it, most likely, but I'm not trying to make a living from writing.

I would most definitely do it. Common wisdom and advice says that you should link to your other works at the end of an ebook, to make it easier for readers to find more by you if they wish, and I see no harm at all in doing this.

Also, once you release subsequent books, you can go back and change the link to point to the new ebook, and to the website for book 3, etc. If I was organised enough to self-publish a serial while I was writing it, I would absolutely do this.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! There seems to be agreement! :-) Thanks!

//I would most definitely do it. Common wisdom and advice says that you should link to your other works at the end of an ebook, to make it easier for readers to find more by you if they wish, and I see no harm at all in doing this.//

I would suggest a separate landing page for each ebook that auto forwards to a standard landing page. That way you can use your webstats to see who's linking most from what books.

holy double vision batman. sorry