Another Introduction

Hey all,

I'm new here and wanted to pop in and introduce myself. My name's Evan. I've been writing on and off since about 2009, starting originally with the fanfiction scene and then slowly moving over into original projects. I found this site, as I'm sure many other new members have, through Wilbow's Worm. For me, my biggest issue with putting words on the page has always been that I tend to edit a lot while I'm writing, which really affects my productivity. In an attempt to break the habit, I've decided to take my first stab at writing a serialized web novel. It's still in it's infancy, with only two chapters posted, but so far the push to meet deadlines has helped keep me honest.

Overall, I'm looking forward to reading more works on the site and getting to know some of the authors. Cheers.

-Evan

What you describe is exactly the reason I started a serial - maybe (probably) you got the idea from a comment I made. Funny thing is that since I stopped editing so much, I think my writing has gotten cleaner. It's smoother, it has less mistakes, and it's easier to read.

I'm glad you've found WFG through Worm. I've been trying to recommend WFG to people on Reddit and the like, as well as promote knowledge of serials. Mentioning it on Reddit and stuff. The more people we get here, the better off we all are.

Welcome, welcome. The more the merrier.

Yeah, I think productivity is the biggest motivating factor for starting a serial. I'm no stranger to the disappointment that comes with lack of progress. Doesn't matter how much I love my ideas if it takes me four years to write 30k words. But in delightful contrast, I started my serial seven months ago, and it recently broke 100k words.

I had the same problem before I started serialising - the longest works I had done previously were around 20/30k (and a few of those were fanfics), and I would just never *finish* anything.

On my first serialised draft of Mirrorfall, I put myself on a schedule of 500/words/day, just to ensure I got something up. It wasn't always the best - some of it was outright crap - but it got me into the habit, and that's what's really important.

Hi Evan, welcome! I read the first two chapters of your serial and loved it. I think it'll do real well as long as you keep updating! Also I didn't find your title listed. Is it in the queue for approval or are you waiting until you have more chapters up?

I think I'm a little different in that I started serializing my book to force myself to revise it again after painfully combing through the completed manuscript for a few years with no progress... but the experience was way more gratifying than I could've ever hoped for. It connected me with readers and gave me confidence in my story again after hitting a wall. I'm revising it yet again (not gonna lie - my ultimate goal is publication) but now I can truly say that there is an audience for it out there, and that I wasn't crazy to put so many years of my life into it. Okay maybe KIND OF crazy but not TOTALLY crazy.

Anyway, welcome and I look forward to reading the rest of Ghost Touch! :)

Wow, thank you all for the warm welcome. I will have to jump in and read all these great stories!

@Wildbow: I'm pretty sure I did read it somewhere on your blog - maybe the post you made on looking back the last 2 years of Worm? Hopefully, what worked for you will work for me as well. My favorite writing quote is from Sanderson: "Sit in a chair and write. Ignore this thing they call writer's block. Doctor's don't get doctor's block; your mechanic doesn't get mechanic's block. If you want to write great stories, learn to write when you don't feel like it. You have to write it poorly before you can write it well. So just be willing to write bad stories in order to learn to write better."

I think the biggest thing is that writing is personal. And putting that writing out there for others to see, can be a huge punch to the ego. So we revise and revise and revise, because we want people to see the best of us - we want to say, "Hey, this is who I am. This is what I can truly do." But in the end, I think what Sanderson says is very telling. The best thing you can do is to finish your story. Your first few books/works will not be great writing (usually). You have to accept writing poorly in order to move forward and learn. That's what I hope this serial experiment will do for me.

@George: Congrats on breaking 100k. That's a big milestone. My largest story to date is only 60k. Here's to serial fiction and productivity!

@Stormy: I've also been doing the 500 words/day. It's definitely helpful, though I do feel it's a bit jarring in terms of the flow of the narrative. I'm hoping I will learn to be able to sit down and just write a chapter in a single sitting without doing too much mid-writing editing.

@Amy: Thank you for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I did submit my story - it's sitting in the queue for approval. I wasn't sure if two chapters was enough, but I read somewhere that it often takes some time to be evaluated due to backlog, so I figured I'd probably have at least a third chapter out before then. All the best for your story and potential future publication! I think it's just the right amount of crazy :)

Hi Evan - Like you, I wrote a lot of fanfiction .I don't see a lot of people necessarily cross over from fanfic to original work but it surprises me it doesn't happen more. Seems like serializing original stuff is just a natural extension of that pursuit.

DId you put links from your fanfiction.net profile to your original work?

I think that the guideline I read for WFG listings is usually at least 3 entries before they add you. Sometimes the updating of listings takes a few weeks depending on the schedule of the mods, but as soon as you get that next installment up you should be set to be added.

Will follow you on WP.

Giving webfiction a go, huh? Good to hear. Hope it works out for you.

Honestly, though, I'm kind of jealous of you. If I edited a lot while I wrote -- or at all -- then I'd probably be in a better place and NOT have to do tons of it all at once. Not looking forward to that.

Well, in the meantime, I'll be sure to give your series a look. And I'll be around the site too, hopefully.

I'm really terrible at editing...

I write like I read. Fast, messy and in bursts. I get too excited and binge. I'll spew out thousands of words in one day, or a stretch of a couple of days and be really excited about it - then when the scene/part is done I leave it for a while... It takes me a while of forcing words out until I hit a bit I get excited about.

It's actually quite stressful (like reading!) and I only end up editing it when I come to post. I'm surprised anyone reads it really.

I don't like to read back over what I've written to edit it, so it helps that I have readers willing to tell me about any typos they see. Some of them even feel guilty that that's all they can think to comment on.

It's quite a change from rewriting sections of Worm and posting my own wacky shenanigans in the comments. I wonder all the time if I picked the right perspective, but either way it's going and I'm learning to work within it.

Welcome, Evan, to Web Fiction Guide.