Audiobooks?

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted here. I've decided to try something new. I'm recording my books and putting them up on YouTube as audiobooks. I'm putting up a new chapter every week, just like my real books. They haven't gotten much attention, though, so if you've got a few minutes I'd appreciate if you could give me you opinions on them. Any good? Anything I could improve on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Ce9mtld3c

This is really interesting. The most I've done is have a rap trailer made for my book that's on youtube.

I'll be watching your progress and hoping for updates.

Thanks! I'm kind of kicking myself for starting with Juryokine. It's my best book, but definitely my least popular. I should have started with Amber Silverblood. My first serial, probably my worst, but for some reason still everybody's favorite :P

What's the process for that like? I'm toying with the idea of reading my own serial like that, only I've never done anything like that before.

It's surprisingly easy. I bought a mic (headset and mic, not my first choice but it's all Walmart had, lol), so I record myself reading the chapter in small chunk so that if I mess up I don't have to go back and reread the entire thing. Then I transfer the audio files into Windows Movie Maker, adjust the volume accordingly, and then save it as a full video. Then I put the entire video up into WMM again to insert the music (since WMM won't let you have more than one layer of audio). This doesn't come into play until chapter two, but I've also started doing a third level of audio on top of all that to insert sound effects. And then I just put it up on YouTube and it's done! I was actually really surprised. I can actually do an entire chapter in a single day, if I clear up enough time.

Hmmm....I might have to give something like a try. Will report back.

take a look at audacity!

oh, and Creative Penn just posted a guide to making audio books.

http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2015/04/20/record-your-own-audiobooks/

If I was doing audiobooks, then only to sell them. I've looked into ACX but am going to wait for book 3 first.

This is a very frustrating topic for me -- I can see audiobooks getting bigger and bigger -- I find I'm relying on them more and more myself -- but my attempts at creating them (or at least audio podcasts, the audiobook's cousin) have been time consuming and ultimately disappointing. There's a difference between making a decent recording and being a good narrator. I suspect the latter is more important. Certainly getting a technically good recording is important, but bad narration makes good books fall flat.

@Chrysalis - Work on my second audiobook through ACX starts next week. If you have any questions, you can ping me.

Good luck! Audiobooks are definitely a booming market, and this is an interesting way to mix a serial format into them. Let us know how it goes.