Blog Web Hosting

Hiya folks, as a long time lurker and writer (www.adammaxwell.com) and occassional poster I thought I would pop around here and offer you all a bit of an opportunity.

I am in the process of setting up a web business and the first part I have sorted out is web hosting. one area I know i want to concentrate on is supporting hosting for bloggers and I want your feedback.

I have put together a blog hosting package which contains:

• Free .co.uk or .com domain name

• POP3 Email Account

• Webmail access

• Email forwarding addresses

• MySql database

• 100 MB of webspace

• 1 GB transfer per month

• Automatically submit your site to major search engines

• Web statisitcs

• One click install of Wordpress, Geeklog or Necleus through your control panel. Or you can install whichever other blog you prefer...

• FTP Access

Now what I want to know for starters is that IF you were to take the plunge would this be something you would go for - what do you think? more of this? less of that? not enough of the other?

:)

wfg001

as the discount code and promise you'll tell me what you'd like to see me to better.

come on folks, blog hosting in general is crap and I want to make it good and I think you can help.

cheers

adam

With respect, Adam, that seems rather expensive for what it is. I get my multi-terabyte hosting plan and domain name for the same price ($119.40 a year, no set-up fees) without any discounts.

I don't know what your costs are in this venture, mind you.

Regards,

Ryan

I think you should demand payment in uncut African diamonds.

I'm just saying. :)

I balk at your 100MB of space, when WordPress gives me 1 gig (I think) for free. Also, as a tech nerd, I'd want IMAP over POP.

I do like the website insertion to Google (and others). One click of WordPress et al is also nice. Your biggest problem is going to be competing with the hodge-podge of free but scattered resources we're already using.

Thanks guys - this is exactly the sort of info I wanted and initial costs are part of the problem. A potential solution would be to offer 2 option, one at a higher price where you pay monthly and one at a lower price where you pay yearly. What do you think of that and which would you prefer if you did go for this?

So far we have:

-need more space

-need IMAP

-needs to be cheaper to compete

-need payment methods to include precious stones

brilliant - what else do you currently get that you would expect to see?

thanks again everyone

Personally, I don't buy hosting if I don't get shell access. Way too much of a hassle doing anything real without it.

Chris.

I especially agree that the price should be cheaper, and if it were, I would gladly support a smaller venture rather than an established brand. But to give a perspective, GoDaddy offered the following in their deluxe package;

150 GB Space/1.5k Transfer

500 Email Accounts

25 MySQL Databases

All for a total of $79.63 per month. To be fair, this may have been a special.

I get Free hosting with Blogger.

@chris - yeah i know what you mean but not sure if this will be possible at present. that is why i'm scouting opinions :)

@busterwolf - glad to hear that you would consider it and thanks for the info. Did you mean $79.63 a month? or was that per year because $80 a month is waaaay expensive :D

@miladysa - i realise it seems odd to compete with free hosting but I was hopeing to pitch this at individuals who wanted their own domain outside of blogger. thanks for the info tho

we have the gold and diamonds... but why would i need so many email addresses?

kinda a moot point coming from me maybe, considering i don't need a lot of space, acronymed programmy things or anything much outside of blogger. i also don't need the exchange rate :(

*fetches shovel to open a mine*