Class Project: Professional Writer Survey

Would anyone mind helping me out with my oral communication class project? I'm supposed to gather information from writers and deliver a speech about it on Monday. There are only three questions and the only requirement is that you write professionally. And no, you would not be doing my homework for me since the objective is to deliver a speech about the information I've gathered.

1. What type of oral communication do you regularly use in your profession?

2. Besides oral communication, what other skills and abilities do you think are beneficial to the work that you do?

3. What do you find most interesting about how you communicate professionally? Why?

Thank you in advance! :)

My monthly income comes exclusively from creative writing, so here goes.

1. I run a podcast together with a colleague. Virtually all my other work-related comms are conducted in text.

2. A willingness to stand by my work and not succumb to second-guessing. Also, never allowing standards to drop for the sake of expediency. There's a lot of pressure in knowing that my work is going to make or break a project, but constantly changing course or trying to rush through it to make a stupid deadline will always result in inferior work.

3. What's really interesting is that you can indeed get by solely through text-based avenues of communication. The people I work with prefer it, since voice calls are impractical without a (usually wired and therefore clumsy) headset, and video calls can make people uncomfortable as it ruins the sense of privacy people usually feel in front of a computer. For introverts like myself, that's a big deal and one of the reasons why I like the internet so much in the first place.

That's all I can think of. Hope it helps!

Ryan -- where do you work that you can communicate almost entirely by text-based avenues? Sign me up!

Gavin: I'm a freelance writer and designer for independent video games. Also team manager when the job calls for it. Right now, for example, I'm overseeing all written content for Frontiers (link in my sig) as well as creating a large chunk of it myself. Awesome work if you can get it, but it's a bloody tough industry to get into. Thank the stars for Kickstarter and crowdfunding in general. Without them there'd be a lot less work out there, and a lot fewer interesting projects coming out of left field.

I'd also love to be able to do that... Phone calls are one thing I just dread doing for some bizarre reason.

AGreyWorld: Oh, I know where you're coming from. I hate phone calls too. I hate appearing at conventions, I hate sitting on panels, I hate the sound of my own voice and the stupid words that seem to come out of my mouth. Forcing myself out of that introverted shell is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. But in order to be successful as an independent creator, you have to know how, unless you're very shrewd, very well-connected or very lucky. You have to be able to put yourself out there in such a way that both audiences and employers/editors/investors can do nothing but be swept up in the strength of your passion and the clarity of your vision. Whether it's marketing or networking, this business revolves around communicating with people one way or another, so shoving down your anxieties with a smile comes a close second to writing on the list of priorities.