Columnisation!

I'm happy to announce that I'll be starting a brand new column for readers and writers at Xenagia.com. It's going to be a regular op-ed about genre fiction, with articles about writing, publishing, the industry and fiction in general.

Now, apart from reading it, I'd like your input as well! If you have any ideas for column topics or if you know anything you'd like me to write about, please post them here or e-mail them to me at cs -at- streetofeyes -dot- com. If I pick up the idea then your name will be mentioned in the article.

Cheers!

Regards,

Ryan

Let us know when it goes live, Ryan.

I have a few questions that maybe you could address...

Vanity/self publishing. When is it a viable option and how should one go about it?

The differences between writing for the internet and writing for print.

Hope these topics are helpful!

Frances

Frances: I was already leaning towards vanity publishing as something I'd like to rant about, so I think your comment has just cinched it!

That's my project for tonight sorted . . .

Regards,

Ryan

Awesome! High-fives!

Oh dear. Well, I look forward to reading it, Ryan. I would wish that people wouldn't call it "vanity" publishing. I prefer to be called an indie writer, not a "vanity" writer. I don't think I'm any more vain than anyone else in this writing game. Check out the website Publetariat:

http://www.publetariat.com/

That should give you some fuel for a rant, Ryan. :)

MeiLin: I'm well aware of it. One of the editors there, Alan Baxter, is a mate of mine and David Wood's. ;)

Regards,

Ryan

Hmm...perhaps you can have a special column for the newbies so that they can get their best help to start their writing.

The term "vanity" was a faux pas that I apologize for... it was the term I was more familiar with at the time.

It's not a faux-pas at all to use the term 'vanity press'. There's a very specific meaning for the term to which it applies perfectly. This also is covered in the upcoming column. The whole thing will be more focused on what vanity/self-publishing places can actually do for you than a how-to, though.

Regards,

Ryan

PS. First one's all but finished, I just need to get some more feedback before it's put up.

I look forward to reading it. :)

Right, time for an update! I've been told that the column will go live this friday, and I'll be writing new articles on a bi-weekly basis. I'll be updating this thread every time a new one is posted. Hope to see you all here and on the Xenagia forums to discuss!

Regards,

Ryan

The column is live! Check out http://www.xenagia.net/columns/list-column.phtml?colname=thirdpersonperspective for the introduction and first article, Vanity Vs. Self.

Regards,

Ryan

Great article, Ryan! I thought it was a great primer for what kind of publishing services are available, and I understand the lay of the land a lot better now.

Thanks, Frances! It was interesting to research and write (and a bit nerve-wracking since it's my first proper foray into non-fiction) but I really enjoyed it.

I'll be back with another one in two weeks!

Regards,

Ryan

Ryan! I liked the article, but I missed something about indie-authors, even though it is very, very close to self-publishing...

This is a great website about it:

http://www.indie-publishing-revolution.com

Janoda: No disrespect intended in this post, but how do you arrive at the term 'very, very close to self-publishing'? It's the same thing. Regardless of how they do it and what they're doing it for, those who publish their own books are self-publishing. The people on that website you linked are no different from any other self-publishing writers; they're not even _moving_ the goalposts, they're just renaming them.

From what I've read there, I don't think I agree with them at all. There's a shrill, defensive tone running through the 'articles', which are more like rants on why self-publishing is apparently the one true path for authors in the new world order. Publetariat at least gives reasonable and considered arguments for self-publishing, while this lot seems to spend a lot of time looking for straws to clutch.

As a rule, the louder somebody shouts about their pet crusade, the less I'm inclined to trust them. And trying to rename their way out of the self-publishing corner only suggests they're secretly ashamed of what they're doing.

Regards,

Ryan

None offence taken whatsoever, no worries.

I got there from publetariat, and from my memory they had some good articles on using your own POD service instead of using companies that use POD services.

Which I thought was the difference between self-publishing and indie-authors, and which was the option I missed in your article. But maybe the difference is indeed to little, or does it go too much into the your own publishing company direction.

About the tone of the website, I tend to read over that since English isn't my first language, and because I practised reading through tones on the internet...

I have an idea for a column, Ryan, though I don't know if it steps outside your focus:

The current state of education in "genre" fiction. I know (or think I do) that there are no true MFA programs in genre fiction, but there are MFA programs with classes in genre fiction, and many unaccredited programs in speculative fiction. I'd be interested to know if there are any recognizable trends in teaching genre fiction, and what the outlook might be for the future.

Alex: That's a bit esoteric, I reckon, if not outside the scope of TPP. The main reason why I'll have to pass on it is because it would centre mainly around the US education system, and the total amount of time I've spent within American borders is one afternoon. As far as I'm aware, there is no formal education available at all in genre fiction in the UK.

Regards,

Ryan