Food in your serial

So I'm about ready to go to lunch, sniffing my homemade Dal, which is a lentil curry. The reason I made a batch last night to bring to work for lunch for the next two days is from Dennis Santana's Solstice War, in which curried lentils being eaten has happened repeatedly. So it makes me think. Require: Cookie has, well, coffee and cookies. Solstice War has psuedo African cuisine, food has been an important part of the story pretty often, a background detail that just... makes the characters and situations. Anyone else think of times that food played a big role in either your writing or something you read?

Okay, off to buy some corn chips to dip in this delicious smell next to me.

Coffee and cigarettes are important in Curveball. Hootch and the consumption thereof is very important in Pay Me, Bug! and A Rake by Starlight. Food is less important in The Points Between, but coffee still makes an appearance... as does breakfast.

That's really neat Alexander! I'm glad I'm communicating the magic of Dal so much. I was raised Hindu and my family ate it very often. I can't get enough of a good Dal.

Athena's heart shaped candy box (with candies inside). It's going to make a comeback with added meaning.

There's also going to be a thing about Chris and Chinese food.

Dennis, indeed, unfortunately, that was a delicious smelling and almost tasteless dal.... I think I need to use more spice, heh. But I do love me lentils, so it was another way to prepare them, heh.

Chris, I said food, not drugs! lol.

chrysalis, a running joke about chris eating lots of chinese food, or descriptions of actual dishes?

Hey, Coffee is a food! :D

Let's see...

In Legion of Nothing I've used food as follows:

1. When all the characters were in high school, I regularly commented on cafeteria food, exaggerating, food from my actual high school.

2. To highlight character differences: the main character is more cautious about what he eats than his girlfriend is (her family owns restaurants and everyone in the family works in them at some point).

3. Coffeehouses are used commonly for dating.

4. Most recently to emphasize class and wealth acquired as a result of being superhuman.

I don't think there's any special psychological significance to food in mine, at least as far as meals. It mostly just shows the groupings. People might fix food for themselves and their group, but otherwise they're separate.

Aside from that, it's just another weapon for Gecko. No matter how much he likes whatever impressive sandwich he's munching on, he can use it to kill. To that extent, Gecko used a pineapple to get out of a bad situation with a helicopter this one time. And then there was another time where he and a hero started to get into a fight at a bakery. He headed it off by having them do an old-fashioned commercial where he acts beat and pretends it's due to the delicious cakes. Then they dump one of them on the hero to give him an opening to escape.

Oh, and recently there were some villains who were food-themed. One of them controls non-living meat. Another is named Killbasa and is a disgruntled butcher who wields weaponized food.

I suppose someone could read more into that than I intended, but it wouldn't be something I put in there on purpose.

I just remembered... I used Russian food in 3.2, as well - to show every aspect of Radiant's homecoming. That was a little tough because most readers wouldn't have understood the Russian names for the various dishes. I went with a mix of Russian and English, like for 'Pelmeni meat wraps'.

The Chinese food scene will create a special moment that I don't want to spoil, but I'm really looking forward to it.

One of my main character's primary ambitions is Starbucks. I shot for the big leagues there. :)

PG, are you familiar with a PBS kids show called word girl? Has a similar villain.

My pirate character, Zaruda, has a coat with bag-of-holding spells on its pockets, which contain absolutely incalculable amounts of alcohol. She is pretty much never not drinking some kind of booze.

It's kind of funny because in real life I'm a teetotaler.

Really, aside from that, I've had a couple of scenes at food stands in the city, but the aim of those wasn't really the food so much as establishing character and setting. Oh, and my dryad likes her meat raw, and doesn't necessarily distinguish between sentient and non-sentient sources of said meat. You gotta have a little squick.

A villain just murdered somebody for a ham and cheese sandwich and a coke

Wine. In the new Umbra, Claudia goes to wine whenever she wants to think, which is both a technical contradiction and a common occurance. So does Ralph, her teacher boyfriend. This serial is now about a bunch of wineos.

Not a specific food in particular, but a lot of the scenes in the early studio of Twisted Cogs take place in the warm and comfortable kitchen.

Absinthe.

The scenes haven't been posted yet, but in Fooled there is a big gala event with a banquet, and the Fool incorporates some of the dishes into his act. :) Also he partakes of some very old pizza which doesn't go so well.