I don't know If I'm ready

Like I said, I don't know If I'm ready as a writer to put my work out there. I want to but I'm scarred of failure. Not only in readers eyes but in mine. I don't want to put something out that I am down the road ashamed of.

Also I already have a blog set up about other things. Its were I post reviews on books and such, should I make a second blog for my fiction or keep it all the same. I want to keep them together I'm just worried it would confuse people.

What type of blog platform do you use? It's possible to make sub-sections of your blog so people can navigate to your regular blog vs your webfiction.

Online you can. But the point is, the bestsellers he wrote early in his career are not as polished as those he wrote later. They were still excellent. There might not be a right time to start. :)

I've been writing for years and I still get that feeling from time to time, and I think that everyone's written a couple cringe-worthy things. Besides, you're not going to learn what your weaknesses are without outside criticism. The best thing to do is just throw stuff out there and hope for the best. =)

Trust me on this: if you don't cringe a bit at stuff you wrote a few years back, you should probably stop writing. It means you aren't learning anything.

Chris.

Thanks for all the responses. It means a lot to me. I am using wordpress.com and as far as I can tell I can't make a subsection. If I can that would be great to know.

You're probably right. If you've got a Wordpress.com blog, you probably can't change the basic structure of your blog. To do that, you'd probably have to install Wordpress on your own hosting.

If you don't want to do that, you're probably best off setting up another blog, and linking to it from your other blog.

And with regards to your worry about not wanting to post something that isn't perfect... That's the funny thing about life. You force yourself to get better if you do something, especially in public. Another funny thing is that no one's ever as good as they want to ideally become. The key point is to make things as good as they can be now, and to learn from it. That way they'll be better later.

I know it was a typo, but "scarred of failure" is probably the single best way to describe it. Doing things on the internet can be tough -- I've seen it wear people down and cause them to quit even though what they were doing was BRILLIANT and they were well on their way to becoming successful. It takes a very specific state of mind to be able to risk everything and put things that are meaningful to you out there, and when you do it you'll often be plagued by the insecurity that you're just not good enough.

Over on eviscerati.org I once wrote a "webcomic manifesto..." it focuses on webcomics because that's where I come from but I believe it's relevant to any kind of artistic effort on the web:

https://www.eviscerati.net/article/2010/10/26/webcomic-manifesto-because-everyone-has-least-one

This is the part I think is most relevant:

And if you go in one direction, the people who want to go in a different direction will most likely dislike you and feel threatened by you. You will not be able to make everyone like you, no matter how hard you try. Someone, somewhere is going to feel compelled to hate what you do on general principle alone. It doesn't matter what you're doing. You could be feeding starving children, and someone will invariably feel threatened by it, get worried that it will interfere with his "starve the children of the world" campaign, and spend a great deal of time trying to push your work into irrelevance, or browbeat you off the net, or something similarly stupid.

The good news is that this works both ways. Just because someone else doesn't like what you're doing doesn't mean you have to give a damn. And to help you keep that in mind, I'd like to teach all something I've found useful. It's a little something I call

THE WEBCOMICS SALUTE

1. Make a fist.

2. Raise the fist in front of your face, with your curled fingers and thumb pointing towards your face.

3. Slowly and deliberately raise your middle finger. (Internet users from Great Britain and many former colonies of the Empire may substitute this with raising the index and middle finger, then parting the two fingers into a "V" shape.)

There. You now have every tool you need to be web cartoonist. If anyone tells you different, think of it as a chance to practice the webcomics salute.

The other phrase to keep in mind is "if you accept nothing less than perfection, you accept nothing." That's a little cliched but it's true.

Thank's. I'll be trying that salute out soon enough!

Hah I like that, ubersoft. =D

I've only used WordPress for a couple of weeks now myself, but it seems pretty easy to manage multiple blogs through their dashboard. You could even keep the same style as your review one but change some graphics around to make it feel different. That way people would easily tell that you're the author of both, but they'd still be separate enough to avoid confusion.

I use the independent writer's salute, myself:

Extend your pinky finger and thumb out from your hand. Curl them inward until the tips are touching. Then find a wall and bash your head against it continually for the rest of eternity.

. . . What? Not good? ;)

Regards,

Ryan

It's common knowledge that banging your head against the wall burns 150 calories and hour.

That makes up for 15 idle hours spent staring at a monitor.

Lxx

Do it for yourself! If writing's fun, and putting it online makes it funner, then go for it!

2 separate blogs is definitely easier; if you're going to use one, make sure the fiction stuff is prominent and easily navigated. Webfic readers are LAZY. (Yours truly included!)

And if it's any encouragement (it probably isn't LOL), it'll be at least six months--possibly more--before anyone is reading what you're writing, so you'll have plenty of time to go back and polish the early stuff. *G*

Unless you advertise like crazy (and not just to friends and family). Project Wonderful is good for that if you get into it. I saw a major uptick when I started advertising through that service.

In the end, you're the person in ultimate control of your fiction on the internet. You're teh one that puts it out there, and you can take it down if you want to, too.

My best advice is make sure you proofread anything you put out there. Your fiction is one of your public faces from the moment you put it out there. No reason not to put your best foot forward by making sure everything's spelled correctly!