IIIII DIIIIIID IIIIIIIT!!

Finallyfinallyfinallyfinallyfinallyfinallyfinally IT'S DOOOOONE!! That insane, vicious hiatus I got stuck in 'cause I couldn't work it out IS A-FREAKING-OVER! I'm done! I did it! I finally wrote the next update!

Ohhhhh my God, this is such an amazing relief! I'm holding off on posting it for one more night just so I can check it over for typos, but ARRRRGHHH! Now I can break that weird silence I had, like I was punishing myself through self-exile for not doing this.

Guys. Guys, you don't even know. Oh my God, you guys. You guys. I feel great.

I'm gonna go laugh deliriously for a while. A long while. Holy crap, this finally happened. It's amazing.

I'm terrified of being in that state & getting stuck, it's part of what keeps me going.

Congrats on breaking past the wall.

@Wildbow - I'm equally as terrified, which is why I'm so relieved now. The good news is you can get out of it! I'll remind myself of that forever.

Congratulations! I've been there a few times, though not to the same extent; I've run up on my bi-weekly deadlines real hard before and had to burst through like 8000 words in a day to make an update before I miss it. It's a good feeling to get the groove back.

@Dennis - Oh, bi-weekly. If only. If only...

This was a monthly deadline. The odds of me ever getting past that frequency are so sad!

Happy to hear that you got yourself unstuck! Everyone gets stuck every once in a while, just got to take the time to work it out.

@Emma - Hahaha! Yeah, just a quick six months. ;) I'm really hoping this doesn't happen again.

Getting past the writer's block is an amazing feeling. I remember working on a novel and getting so stuck and then *boom*, I wrote 20 pages in a day and a couple of weeks later I'd finished it.

I misspoke actually, my deadline is bi-MONTHLY not bi-weekly. Actually nowadays I'm doing 3/month since I guaranteed I'd do an extra chapter every month. So...I don't even know what it is anymore. But still. Congrats anyway! As you get more comfortable hopefully you'll be able to do more. Build that confidence little by little: everything you do adds toward that.

Congrats, Tartra! Want to share your secret on how to get unstuck? :)

@Chrysalis: When I get stuck, I give myself some time. Sometimes just a few days of thinking what I want done with a chapter helps me start writing. Also, pencil/pen and paper. Writing off the computer helps too. Less distractions. Of course, it's different for everyone.

@Tartra: Six months isn't so bad. When I first started writing Sin Eater, I got stuck on it for a year. Glad I decided to wait to start posting it.

@Tartra: I think a monthly deadline would be harder than a twice weekly one for me. There's just too long of a period where I could get out of the habit of writing. As things are, I have to write almost daily or else I'll be late.

@Chrysalis - Well, since you asked... :)

My growing plan is to get a side-blog going purely about my writing habits and what I do to get unstuck (and maybe why I got stuck in the first place). The short of it, though, is that I got stuck this time because:

a) I was too attached to some ideas and burned weeks trying to make them work (i.e., paragraph smart, chapter dumb),

b) I had too many major plot points I wanted to shove in,

c) the time I found to write never accounted for the environment I needed to write,

d) work sucked every ounce of my motivation out,

e) the pressure of taking so long and potentially disappointing people made me insist I couldn't post anything until it was 'perfect' as an apology.

To get unstuck, what I did was:

1) include those ideas indirectly, whether by implying them (e.g., that thing I wanted to do? It totally happened, but off-screen), moving them to a later part of the story, or - hardest - reworking the entire chapter to the point that those ideas, like a funny line or something, sounded really 'off' because they didn't fit anymore;

2) condensed what I was writing so I could give the shorter scene its full attention, which I think upped the final quality of the pacing;

3) wrote either when I was so done with work's shit that I just didn't waste energy trying to care about it (I do not recommend this. It's a symptom of a greater issue I'm trying to resolve by searching for a new job) or when I had time devoted purely to it, like on weekend or carved-into-my-calendar sessions that I could mentally prep for (once it's written down, it's real);

4) actually figured out what my ideal writing environment was and tried to get as close to that every time I could (next to a window, overlooking some form of nature, silence, no one around to bother me or give the impression that they might bother me later);

5) hit a point where it was so freaking long since I'd last updated that no one was around to care anymore (again, I don't recommended this, and a big part of me is still bummed that I lost that great boost from Maddirose sharing TOKoR with her readership), which meant I was writing for me again and therefore for fun, the original point of all this.

So yeah. That won't work for everybody, but hopefully some people can grab a takeaway or two. At least I know now.

@Jim - I am the living embodiment of 'give work to a busy man'. A month is too long for me, too. Unfortunately, I'm spending ten hours of my day doing nothing at my job or commuting around. That's murdered any forward momentum I could be using to write. I was doing bi-monthly originally ('originally' - ha! I'm not even that far in), but I pushed it to account for slowing down and then I got into the stuck-rut. I'm trying to move into a better position, where my mental energy's not going down the toilet trying to make busy work for myself.