Individual Story Downloads

Hey all... I'm working out the deets for a new project, and have been stumped on an aspect of it that I'm hoping someone here could help me out with.

I've been thinking about allowing site visitors to download individual short stories for a pittance, but I have no idea what kind of format that download should be in. It has to be simple for me to create and a file that cannot be tampered with (for instance, no one can download the file, erase my name and hawk it as their own work). I was thinking .pdf, but iPhones and ebook readers don't really use that, or so I'm under that impression. Or should I offer multiple format choices?

- Frances

NOTE: This is only opinion.

Don't stress about people editing out your name and marketing it as their own. Because if they want to, they will, no matter what you do to the file.

Have you checked out Smashwords? One format uploaded -> Smashwords' Meatgrinder -> Many formats ... quite easy.

Nomesque, you are all over the internets today! Your ubiquitousness is impressive. :)

I looked at smashwords but I got the sense it was for fully-formed novels, rather than individual stories of around 20-odd pages.

Tis a public holiday today, so i'm being lazy ;-)

People use Smashwords for all sorts. Have a look thru their listings and check the word counts...

Will do, thanks!

Now what I'd love is for a reader to be able to subscribe to a serial and, whenever a new chapter is released, have it delivered direct to their e-reading device of choice. No fussing about on websites or searching for the latest download, just BAM, there it is when you wake up.

I've no idea if this system exists. I would expect it should do by now, but I also know the world had a distinct lack of common sense!

I'd say it could be done by RSS feed...?

I've never used an ebook reader, so I've no idea what their browsing capabilities are like! Are they compatible with RSS? In which case that's really...simple...syndication D:

I've found too that people are reading RSS feeds on their smartphones... there are applications for downloading RSS updates and storing them until you're ready to read. Dunno if it applies to ebook readers though.