Inkett

http://www.inkitt.com/

This was emailed to me by someone a while back. I hadn't looked at it before. Inkett is a fiction site that apparently links web-fiction authors up with a publisher, if their stories are popular enough. I know this wasn't the only site that did this. I think another one was mentioned here but I can't find it.

I don't plan on getting published like this but I decided to join just to see what happens.

What do you guys think of the site?

I personally think it's a waste of time for me, but it depends on how much you're willing to self-promote.

As far as I can tell, Inkitt doesn't have any way for new authors to get good exposure. Their reading lists are ranked by popularity by default, though there is an option to sort by latest update.

Their writing contests are also determined by popular vote rather than editor judgement or anything like that.

This means that in order to succeed on the site, you need to heavily self-promote. You need to ask the readers that follow you elsewhere to vote on Inkitt, as well as self-promote on places like Facebook and Twitter.

I personally already get reviews from posting on RRL and FictionPress, and I don't think it's worth the bother to make my readers to go Inkitt and leave another review.

To give you an idea of what happens with zero self-promotion, a short story I posted there got 49 views in an entire year. I posted a couple of chapters of my webserial three months ago, and it's gotten 12 views in total. Neither of them has gotten a single review.

Honestly, I think Inkitt is one of those start-ups that focused way too hard on collecting writers rather than a decently-sized reader base. It's more of a place where if you already have enough fans, you can use that power to boost your ranking on Inkitt, and possibly get the support to become published if you prove you're already popular enough.

As a place to get exposure to readers looking for something new to read, it's sub-par.

On inkitt my most read work has the same number of reads since June 2015 as the last story I published on another small site two weeks ago... Add that inkitt has a forum for site-internal marketing in difference from that other site and the numbers get even worse.

That's... a shame. But playing around with the site layout I can see how that is.

There was another website used by writers on wfg, but I can't remember the name. It had a blue white base and a bird emblem in the top right hand corner, I think. Anybody know what website it is?

Are you talking about muse's success? It has an open book with pages coming out I think, but it could been could be confused with a bird.

No J.E.Hixon. It was a darker blue and on the sides (Shoulders)

It may have been a bird or balloon, not sure.

I am fairly new to the web serial world so that's the best guess I have. Found this page of different websites that list or publish web serials.

https://theonlinenovel.wordpress.com/where-to-read-or-list-serials/

It is missing some sites I am sure. I personally have a hard time with any place I have to post the chapters separately from my own web page.

I think you mean RRL? (http://royalroadl.com/) The logo has wings on it.

It's a site with a fairly large reader base. However, keep in mind that the reader base was gathered originally by translating a Korean light novel. The readers really like stories with Japanese and Korean tropes, as well as virtual gaming stories. That isn't to say that other kinds of stories will get no readers; just be aware that even high-quality writing might not automatically start climbing the popularity charts.

As far as getting exposure, I'd say it's more worth the effort to post on RRL than Inkitt. There is a specific strategy to gain exposure on RRL: simply update frequently. There is a much-used Latest Updates list, which is where new stories get over 90% of their new views. Your story appears on that list every time you post a new chapter. Asking specifically for reviews and feedback tends to get a good response from readers.

@Unice5656: What would you consider a good number of views on RRL? I have been cross posting there and have gotten a few views, like 45 or so. But I think there is a massive group of readers there, so that seems to be very very few?

@J.E.Hixon My most read story at RRL has below 600 views per chapter. That is a comparatively poor result. I'd say anything above 5000 views per chapter is good.

Hmm, it's hard to say. I'll use some of my stats to illustrate.

My main project is a webserial that is a VR gaming story that perfectly matches the reader base. In addition, I've been posting on RRL since the very beginning (my fiction number is #98 and the latest fictions are in the 6000s) and I've been on the Most Popular list since 2013. The average number of views I have per chapter is around 15,000.

This kind of success, for me, is really only possible because I'm on the Best Rated list. According to the poll I set up, 65% of my readers found my fiction through the Best Rated list, while 22% found it through Latest Updates. As you can see, the best way to get on the Best Rated list is to already be on it. In terms of becoming popular without being grandfathered in, your main viable option is really frequent updates. Many of the more recently popular stories update daily compared to my monthly, irregular updates. You may even want to consider breaking up your chapters into smaller chunks in order to update more frequently.

I also have two other fictions posted on RRL:

One is a 6-chapter short story that is a soppy fantasy romance. I posted one chapter a day over 6 days when I had already written the whole thing in order to maximize exposure on the Latest Updates list. It has also gained some extra exposure due to being on the Completed Fictions list.

This fiction only has 1200 views per chapter, but I have 18 5-star ratings, some very nice reviews, and a lot of nice comments. Considering its short length, atypical genre for RRL, and my lack of aggressive promotion, I'd call it a resounding success.

My other fiction is a side project that is fantasy adventure, with a strong dose of fluffy romance. I update it even less regularly than my main project, and it is currently 8 chapters. It currently has 1500 views per chapter and 22 ratings, 21 of which are 5-star. Based on the positive comments, I'd also call it a great success.

So yeah... 45 views doesn't seem like a lot. However, I don't know the particulars of your fiction genre, how many chapters you've posted, how active you are in the RRL forums, or any other factors that could be affecting the kind of exposure you're getting. If you'd like to post a link to your RRL listing and let me know some of the other factors, I'd be glad to help anyone optimize their RRL listings.

Inkitt isn't liable to get you a lot of eyes on your work usually, but participating in their contests is pretty painless. The top ten winners of every contest are decided by readers upvoting stories, so if you can get enough of your friends to follow a link and click a 'like' button, you can get your story promoted and easily win some Amazon money/Inkitt swag/etc. One of my short stories was a frontrunner in a horror contest they ran this past summer.

The site I was looking for wasn't RRl. It had a white base with blue on the sides.

I can't say I know a single writer who has an account there. Also this blog post kind of makes me wary of it:

http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2016/04/spam-spam-spam-spam-inkitt-and-grand.html

I remember trying to figure out if the place was worth it when I was looking into writing communities a few years ago. I dismissed it on the premise that it was rather new at the time, and I'm not a fan of communities who use voting systems heavily, and I wasn't too sure how long of a shelf life it would have.