Inspired by quotes?

Ever since I first started writing in my teens (mainly fanfiction back then!), I found that the majority of my stories had a common factor, and that was that I had to find a quote that inspired me before I started writing. Usually it was a song lyric or something from my own reading by another author. If I really connected with a quote, I found it set the tone for my whole story, and even helped me to keep it structured. Maybe that's kind of odd, IDK, but I know that several published authors include quotes at the beginning of their own books, and I was wondering if anyone here was ever inspired to write or organize a serial around a quote, and if you did, it would be awesome if you shared it.

This is the one I used at the opening of Fooled, specifically:

"I must learn to love the fool in me - the one who feels too much,

talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often,

lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt,

promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries."

- Theodore Isaac Rubin

Not necessarily any one quote, but during WW2 Soviet Premier Joseph Stalin would issue an "Order of the Day" to the Red Army on most days, which was a mix of praise and/or thinly-veiled disappointment, and orders he had no real sense to be giving anyway (and most of which were heavily amended by real officers before anyone started actually committing to carrying them out), as well as hilariously convenient readings of certain nuggets of truth (the Grossdeutchland division being destroyed in Yelnya suddenly equals the Wehrmacht having lost all its best men). Reading all of those always got me thinking about how I would write a history of a gigantic ideologically-driven war, as well as thinking about how different parts of a fighting apparatus would see a war happening day by day. It was one of many, many things that inspired The Solstice War.

For my current project (also the first one I'm really pushing,) there's actually a quote that didn't just inspire me, but partially inspired the creation of Nowhere Island University. I'm not sure who it's from (pretty sure it's from Rockefeller or Carnegie,) and I'm not sure if I got it word for word, but I believe it goes something like this: "An uneducated man may rob a rail car. An educated man can steal the railway."

It wasn't the first person to mention this to me, but it was pretty high praise, I think a lot of people would agree.

Speaking of which, I ran across a hilarious in hindsight comment I made back on 15.10.

I said:

"The fact that two entities exist that can grant superpowers to people does not mean that

1. They actually care about what happens on earth enough to answer prayers.

2. That they can even listen in or understand prayers.

3. That they can do anything other than grant superpowers.

5. That they are moral

6. That they are worth worshipping

I had a horrible habit of Wild Mass Guesses that were incredibly wrong. Hilarious stuff.

I don't think that I've ever been inspired by a quote. I think I'm more likely to be inspired by images.

One story that I've been writing and rewriting for years was inspired by imagining a person catching a trolley.

The serial I'm currently writing was inspired by one or all of the following:

1. Watching the Rocketeer, and wanting to create a character that had a jetpack.

2. A drawing that a friend of mine created of said character.

3. Years of reading comics (the movie Iron Man was released after I started, not before).

Not for a particular story, but all of my writing is inspired by 'What we do in life echoes in eternity'. I changed it to 'what we write in life' on my Patreon page.

Ideally, what we write changes lives in many small ways, by letting the reader learn something new they'd never considered. Sometimes a story inspires something big, and sometimes it just brightens someone's day. There's a story I read as a 13 year old that I still think about because it had such a big impact on me.

Chrysalis - I love that sentiment. Stories and the words we use to weave them can be so powerful and enduring.

I don't tend to have quotes related to my stories. Occasionally, a phrase or quote will spark a story, but it all tends to be pretty tangential and the link is usually lost by the time I've actually started writing. I sometimes get tempted to add quotes later, but I never seem to get around to it.

I did write a short around the lyrics of a song, but it went somewhere strange and creepy, so it's possible that I shouldn't do that again. ;) If you're curious: http://writer.apocalypseblog.com/fiction-the-chair/

Actually, I was inspired by the song "Wallet" by Regina Spektor to begin an outline for a small project. I won't post all the lyrics here, but here's some:

"I'll take your wallet

To my local blockbuster

They'll find your number

In their computer

You'll never know me

And I'll never know you

But you'll be so happy

When they call you up."

The project is going to be three parts, one about a girl tracking down the owner of a wallet she found, one of the guy whose wallet she found, and her fantasy she creates about what would have happened if they had known each other.