JukePop & Sensible Promotion

I got an email yesterday to let me know that my submission to JukePop Serials has been selected for trial. I figured I'd give it a shot, see if there was any interest, and go from there.

I've read a bit about the apparent 'spammy' nature of JP authors though, and I don't want to be that sort of author. I don't want blind likes from people who are only clicking because they know me, so I'm trying not to push it on my social media channels outside of letting people know that it's there.

So my question is, does anyone have any strategies for encouraging people to read/vote (and at this point, endorse) a JP serial? ... without being an absolute twit about it?

The link to the first chapter is here:

https://www.jukepopserials.com/home/read/344

I will be putting it up for submission here at WFG as soon as I have a substantial amount of material up, which on a weekly-update will be in about two weeks from now. I'm still pretty new to this webfic thing, so any advice on promoting without being annoying is welcome!

Hallo. There's a bit of discussion about Jukepop and promotion in this recent thread, if it's any use: http://forums.webfictionguide.com/topic/i-ended-my-serial

In addition to what I already said there - I have a serial on Jukepop called Hobson & Choi and I've been very self-conscious about not becoming a mega-spammer. I've tried to focus on submitting to directories, I sent a bit to the epiguide podcast once, got a guest post going up on the Online Novel blog soon. The plan is to succeed without, as you say, spamming for blind votes and just hope people will find and like it (because I genuinely love my own work, for better or worse), although there is a frustrating element because a lot of the people you're "competing" with will probably be spamming their little hearts out. I started a separate Twitter account for the serial to do a bit more promo, but I try not to bang on too much. Ultimately it's about whatever you feel comfortable with.

The purest way would probably be to treat it as a platform without worrying too much about votes at all, but you probably need to play the game at least a bit to get a decent degree of visibility on the site. Good luck with it all.

I just read it and thought it was really good. However, when I clicked the +vote button, nothing happened. Is there a way to tell who has voted for it, and if so, could you tell me if I voted for it or not?

Do you have an account on Jukepop, alex5927? You have to sign up for an account to vote. All it takes is a username and email.

After that you can tell if you've voted or not, by if you try to vote twice on the same chapter, it will tell you "already voted"

I do have an account, but it didn't say "already voted".

Edit: I did it on my iPad, and it worked. Guess it doesn't work from iPhones.

You have to give yourself permission to be annoying. It feels uncomfortable, but all great artists are also great promoters. Even so, I wouldn't post on twitter more than a couple of times a day, and on Facebook (which always brought me more votes) a couple of times a week.

Remember, you are giving them a chance to be entertained, to find something that they might enjoy. Don't look it as harassment, look at it as wanting to share something good.

Also, make sure that your story is good. No one likes crap being shoveled down their throat.

This is something I struggle with too. I think the story I'm creating is pretty good but I dread being annoying or obnoxious. (Er, blush blush, I'm fighting off my dread of being annoying right now to get myself to include a link to the first episode, http://www.michaellitzky.com/fiction/safe-as-houses-original/, and to my favorite episode, the love scene in http://www.michaellitzky.com/fiction/outside-part-10/)

My wife is encouraging me to tweet a link to my website every day using as many relevant hashtags as I can. I've compromised by tweeting 4 times a week and trying to include something genuine in the tweet and not just spam. But that's not always easy. I don't naturally express myself in 140 characters or less.

I think the question is what is your presence on a social network being defined by? ANd is it appropriate for that network or circle?

Facebook: Unless all your friends are readers and like your work, it's probably not a good idea to keep posting vote messages to that list unless you wish to annoy them over time. Then again, if your entire feed is like that, well then perhaps your circle's culture is going to be tolerant or even favorable of your continued update/vote reminders. Since you have options to make an author page or fan page, those may be more appropriate to use. Sure, the coverage may not be as good (since we know FB plays weird games with visibility) but people are "electing in" to seeing those messages.

Twitter: This is a mixed bag. I'm not just evaluating you on your tweets about your story /reminders to vote. I'm evaluating -everything- you post and whether I want to follow your stuff alongside the 400+ accounts I follow actively.

I don't follow writers on twitter as a rule because many of them, other than telling me they're working on a book, I have no personal interest in their tweets. Do I care about the food they ate? Well, maybe if they're scathingly brilliant in relating it. (I think Avery Monsen of "Your Friends are All Dead" is probably one of those. But YA paranormal fantasy authors? Nah.)

If your entire sum of tweets comes down to "I posted the next chapter, and vote for me" I'm not sure why I need to follow your twitter. I can and will get those updates from Jukepop directly via mail or the app.

However, if that's mixed in with posts of value -- i.e., you're fun to talk to, you're funny, you post /retweet links to helpful content, my focus on you shifts away from "hey you just are here to promote yourself" to "you provide a service" or "you're a good dude."

Not to say that this is how it should be done but consider -- webcomickers often create more than one twitter account. One that is focused solely on their output. So if they're posting a new page, @mycomic posts the news and the link. They might also tweet about recommendations, appearances, or something related to their craft. @personalaccount exists and might retweet @mycomic or duplicate @mycomic content to some degree, but has all the goofy pictures of food they've eaten, their personal rants, or other NON-work related stuff. This, to me, allows me as a twitter user to elect in to the amount of information I want to receive. That said, don't do either if you're not going to monitor them regularly.

Twitter is an investment whether you like it or not. You have to engage with people on it or you will mostly attract bots or other advertisers...

And in case you didn't want to read all the above- I think this article covers it well, although it takes a very corporate brand level approach. It's not wrong to apply it to personal accounts. Many of these points IAW.

http://www.ragan.com/Main/Articles/10_surefire_ways_to_fail_at_Twitter_44888.aspx

I've found that promoting on Twitter is pretty much useless. You get lost among the thousands of other people pushing their art, stories, music, pictures of waffles, etc.

At least with Facebook, your friends are already invested in you, and would like to see you succeed (unless your friends are dicks).

I can think of one exception: The guy that is currently at the top of the Jukepop 30 did so by hitting up his entire college on Twitter. I give him much credit for knowing his resources and tapping into school pride.

BTW: I endorsed you, so you're halfway there. ;)

C.A. Sanders: so far, my experience of Twitter matches what you said, ie., lost in the crowd. But my wife the computer jock insists that even if my followers don't see my stuff in the heap, just tweeting regularly and including popular (relevant) hash tags might get followers who are searching for that hash tag. So far, that hasn't happened. Does anybody else have experience with hash tags bringing in new readers? (Should I post this question as a separate thread?) Thanks.

there is a thread that talks about good hash tags to use. You should also checkout tuesdayserial.com

The #amwriting hashtag is the only one that has worked for me. I got maybe 10 followers from it, not nearly as much as I get just for tweeting silly stuff, drawings, and things about motherhood.

I started serializing my book when I already had about 1K followers. I have about 1300 now, gaining maybe 2 every few days, losing 1-5 a week. Twitter is half my traffic (about 200 visitors out of roughly 400). Granted, a lot of them started following my account because I already had a webcomic in the past and the book's based on the webcomic.

I do make a note not to over spam. When I post a Rema update, I only tweet about it twice -- Sunday midnight when I manage to update, and again Monday at 10am Pacific/1pm Eastern. My friends and husband usually retweet it, and we share a lot of the same followers. So some people are probably seeing the same tweet like 5 times. >_<

Really, I've found the best approach for twitter and Facebook is to treat people like human beings and not "eyeballs", because in the end it is social media so it helps to be socially friendly/human. I dunno if anyone finds any of this info useful because really I'm mostly awful at self-promotion.

One thing writers can and should do is take advantage of outlets that are actually inviting and encouraging them to participate and promote their serials. Y'know, like podcasts that are specifically about serialized fiction. Ahem. I know it requires more than 140 characters but if you've been writing installments each week I doubt 250 words more is a burden, especially since it gets you what must writers here have been clamoring for--free exposure without annoying anyone! :) Seriously, we'd love to hear from you.