Kindling

I was going to add this to the thread on editing chapters, but it seemed that might be too big a curve.

My guess is most folk here either have a means of monetizing their work, or would like to have a means of doing so. After all, we are writing in a new print era. And there are no solutions everyone endorses. As in, find a publisher, get an advance and pray for good reviews, etc..

My thought is that Kindle (and its fellow distributive channels) presents a good basis for monetizing your book and placing it on a level with everything else out there.

My own method -- using Kindle -- is evolving. I write my book in short chapters, about twelve or so to a "book". When I get a book the way I want it, I will put it up on Kindle as "Book One" or "Book Two" and so forth. I will price these modestly. If I end up with 20 books, for example, the cumulative price will yield an excellent return.

I hope anything in the Kindle Store will eventually be available anywhere -- iPad for example.

Here's the link for the first Kindle section of my book.

http://bit.ly/dyFHJv

A nice feature of Kindle is that if you make changes you can simply re-upload the whole thing.

There are a number of no-cost ways to promote Kindle books. Links on your blog, email links, Twitter links. I have put several of my published books on Kindle and begun to get a trickle of sales with no promotion at all. Amazon, of course lists all your Kindle books. Here's my current "catalog": http://bit.ly/mNUEy

This is what I've been doing with my serial fiction over the course of the last year. I publish the story on my web site, and on my two blogs. When the story is complete, I format the story into several e-book formats. I release them for free, but I also submit them to Mobipocket and Smashwords. This puts my titles in a number of book stores, including Amazon Barnes and Noble, and Kobo. Soon Smashwords will let me buy ISBN numbers for 9.95 and pay for them directly, so then the books will qualify for distribution with Sony and Apple.

Right now, you can buy premium ISBNs, but your Smashwords account is billed. So if you don't have enough money in sales, you will owe Smashwords until you get enough sales to cover the cost. You can also get an ISBN for free, but then your story will be listed as being published by Smashwords. I prefer to go with my registered imprint, Aphotic Thought Press, so this is why I am waiting for the direct pay option. But if you don't mind having Smashwords listed as your publisher, you can use them to get onto Amazon, Sony, Barnes and Nobles, and Apple's iBooks. Those are the major markets, so it's not a bad deal at all.

However, I should mention that of these markets, so far I've only had success with Amazon. I get a few sales from other places once in a blue moon, but the vast majority of my paid readers are Kindle users. Food for thought, anyway.