Mass Fusion

The entire basis of my story deals with a massive illogical fusion of worlds, and I've struggled for years with this idea. I have decided how I want to explain it, but basically every character, nearly every location, and even everyday things are fused between two different planets.

I used to hate how in modern fantasy stories the magic world of the world would be hidden away. It always seemed an extremely lazy approach. Through that I thought up the basis of my story, a magical event so cataclysmic that everyone in the world had to deal with all their normal problems with magic in the mix all of a sudden.

But the biggest problem I have when writing this is the characters, everyone in my setting is a humanoid who was fused with another humanoid (There are various exceptions to this.) So I find it hard to explain it all, especially the characters navigating their own minds, and bodies which now contain the entire memories of another.

I'm just looking for any suggestions, or advice. I know it is very specific cause not everyone's or anyone's story deal with this concept. But I was hoping a bunch of geeks could refresh my ideas with new points of view.

Any input will be appreciated, thanks.

Interesting. The only books I've read that deal with somewhat the same topic would be The Door Within trilogy by Wayne Thomas Batson. In it, there are two parallel worlds, and at the very end of the series, the worlds fuse and everyone has both sets of memories. It's different in that 99% of the series is before the characters fuse.

I would say that the story would need to be told from the perspective of an incredibly clear-minded individual who both understands what has happened and is able to process the dual sets of memories and thoughts. I can't really imagine the main character being confused and you still being able to convey a clear sense of what is happening to the reader. If you would like to portray that initial confusion, I think you would have to do some sort of time skip that would allow the reader to get his/her bearings before diving into the chaos.

@Unice5656 thank you for your response

I have versions written where I first introduced the medieval world, and then tried to timeskip the fusion. But I discovered that due to specific plot points, the fusion was very important. Being modern characters with relevant ideas of fantasy, and science they handle it all pretty well. As well as there being special circumstances in two of the three main characters fusions.

The principal character who changes the most is a geek, so he only questions the nature of what he has become. Not the fact that it happens, because he has to quickly deal with the fact that everyone around him has experienced something similar.

I decided to not introduce the medieval world at all, and only approach It from the perspective of our modern earth. That way I could convey a since of mystery, and discovery I guess. Suddenly average dad down the street is a wood elf, but life goes on. So he's just trying to keep his family together and safe.

But not all characters have the perspective of the people from Earth, some of the characters have taken the other worlds mind as the principal. So they have to confront the idea of cars, guns, and cellphones.

Your input is greatly appreciated though, exactly what I was looking for.

Hmm yeah your story is different from the trilogy I spoke of in that everyone has a "principal" mind that has memories added to it. I was imagining more equality/unity in the fusion.

If you find the moment of fusion necessary to the beginning of the story but clarity for the reader an issue, you may want to do something like a prologue that is a report of some kind delineating the major changes occurring, or a 3rd person omniscient narrative that can explain things even if the characters are confused.

That's a great idea, I had it somewhere in my mind that the characters might get some explanations from reading reddit, or something similar.

I think I've struggled with the beginning so much because of all the information dumping that is pretty much vital. I finally have struck a decent sort of balance with the first chapter I have posted, just enough info while not leaving too much unexplained. But I also don't want to do too much explaining without progressing the story, but I guess that is all writing. Balancing all those details just right.

Yeah, info dumps are always a tricky issue. In my experience, they're fine if they're broken up with actual plot in between and if the plot directly relates to the information just presented. If it's relevant in three chapters, don't mention it until three chapters later (except for foreshadowing, which is its own thing). Writing is complicated :P

I would highly suggest reading some Jack Chalker, body switching and joining of minds are pretty big in his stuff. Four lords of the diamonds wouldb e a good starter series, followed by the Well of Souls series.

I rewrote my first five chapters, and this time I feel like I've gathered the appropriate amount of steam so to speak. As the story goes forward I don't feel like I'm stumbling as I explain the massive fusion, or like it is hard to understand.

But thanks for the perspectives.