Music for your book

I didn't check to see if this is already a thread, but I haven't seen it, and I've been here for a couple of years, so I thought it might be a fun activity.

Does anybody have a "soundtrack" for their book? Not like an official one, but music that could correspond with the characters or plot. I have different ones for most of my stories, but I wasn't sure if that was a normal thing. Here's the list for Umbra: Unsanctimonious, although not necessarily in this order:

1. For Everything a Reason-Carina Round

2. Us-Regina Spektor

3. Leaving Earth-Clint Mansell

4. The Sound of Silence-Simon and Garfunkel

5. Sympathy for the Devil-The Rolling Stones (also part of the inspiration for My Name is the Devil)

6. My Religion-Troy Baker

7. Rhiannon-Fleetwood Mac

8. Portions for Foxes-Rilo Kiley

9. The Execution of All Things-Rilo Kiley

I have too many to list. I think most of the epic, emotional, intense, vengeful etc epic playlists on youtube influenced my writing at some point. Sometimes I assign them to characters, but the assignments change. It also depends on the POV I'm currently working on, Dancer arcs tend to get a load of vocal trance rather than epic tracks.

Samael's theme song never changes. It's just too perfect: Overpowered by Vivien Chebbah.

Some other examples include:

Above the sky - Mattia Cuppelli (Dancer)

Angel - R. Armando Morabito (Radiant, maybe)

La luna del cacciatore - Ron Morina (Legion. This track pretty much screams 'Endbringer!')

Fireflies - Lange & Cate Karnell (Dancer & DJ. I probably replayed this one a hundred times.)

Concrete Angel - Gareth Emery & Christina Novelli (Dancer & DJ)

Will, power & a badass suit - Thunderstep Music

Nightfall - Magnus H. Tellmann

I could list a hundred more. It was pretty hard to decide on these!

I have had waaaaaaay too much of a problem determining just one main theme for Psycho Gecko. Major contenders include:

Frontier Psychiatrist - The Avalanches

I Fink U Freeky - Die Antwoord

The Show Must Go On - Three Dog Night

Bad Clown Is Back - Benny Richter

Mama Weer All Crazee Now - Quiet Riot

Just Another Machine - The Megas

Bad As Me - Tom Waits

For World Domination in Retrospect as a whole, the only song I've ever settled on was "My Own Eyes" by Weird Al.

There have also been references to songs in-story, usually because of Gecko's enjoyment of music while he's in the middle of doing stuff. Some of these references include:

The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden (while attacking space marines)

Stepping Razor - Peter Tosh (played to set the mood after beating up a talking gorilla with a magical Moai statue)

Various Elvis Songs - Elvis Presley (he fights a superhero Elvis impersonator)

Venus - Bananarama (fights a hero named Venus during an arc named "Bananarama")

Dancing with Myself - Billy Idol (after attacking Memphis)

Leaving Tonight - The Birthday Massacre (while killing movers who specialize in working for supervillains)

If I Burn - Emilie Autumn (while captured by villains who want to trade him to a group of heroes)

The Show Must Go On - Three Dog Night (used to taunt him by a mastermind who got the better of Gecko)

Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!! - Vengaboys (went to war over the rights to the song)

Just Another Machine - The Megas (referenced by Gecko when getting deep one time)

I listen to a lot of strategy video game soundtracks a lot while writing and thinking about The Solstice War.

Company of Heroes 2's Main Theme fits pretty perfectly as a Solstice War main theme.

Some other ones:

Not One Step Back! -- Company of Heroes 2

Faltering Struggle -- Valkyria Chronicles

Iron Defenses -- Valkyria Chronicles

Hell March -- Command & Conquer Red Alert

Iron Fist -- Command & Conquer Tiberian Dawn

Map Theme -- Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun

Taking Out The Trash -- Command & Conquer Tiberium Wars

False Prophet -- Command & Conquer Tiberium Twilight

We Rise -- Command & Conquer Tiberium Twilight

To The Death -- Command & Conquer Tiberium Twilight (bad game, good soundtrack)

The soundtrack of the movie "Fury" and the documentary series "The Soviet Storm" are also recent additions.

When I'm writing Curveball I have a playlist of about 145 songs that I put on random. About half old punk bands, 25% are old bands from the 80s (it makes sense in context) and the remaining are just random songs. There's one standout that's kind of odd, though -- "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen. The first time I heard that song I realized that this was a song that was not marketed toward me in any way, that I was in no way shape, or form a member of the demographic that song was being targeted to, and I realized that this was probably how CB felt pretty much all the time. So I bought the song, and I always start off the list with it, just to keep that in mind.

No offense meant to Ms Jepsen. It's not really my thing, but there's nothing wrong with the song as far as I can tell.

While I don't have a soundtrack that I listen to while writing Legion of Nothing, I do find that I'm more likely to listen to "Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog" than I normally am. Also, I have a strong association with a certain character (Lee, if you've read Legion) and the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil."

Normally though, I tend to listen to a playlist that randomly plays any music I've bought in the last six months. Currently, it's a mixture of Miles Davis, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Cake, Johnny Cash, Bill Monroe & The Blue Grass Boys, Vince Guaraldi, the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack, Paul Simon's Graceland, Bakathi Kumalo (African pop/jazz), and The Decemberists.

Yes, I do! And the playlist is called "Fooled soundtrack," haha. Some of these are literally related to plot points, other ones just remind me of certain characters for some reason. I think you should be able to view it here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB7495E6D1250ABCC

Well, i have a short story based on the song 2112, and a novel based on the song Wayward Son, but no real soundtracks.... umm, wait. While writing the fight scene that currently caps off Reflection of the Shadows, I was pumping Let the Bodies Hit the Floor.

At some point, I intend to actually write the three-part romantic tragedy I've had in mind ever since I first saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B95Z_cghzA8

You all have awesome taste in music.

I can mentally shoehorn Janelle Monae, Phantogram, Polica, Yasmine Hamdan, Sigur Ros, and Bjork into pretty much anything I'm working on.

(And oh hey, my first post after two weeks of lurking.)

For me, I don't really have themes for many of my characters. However, if my story ever got adapted into an anime, it would sound something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVI7S6zKiBM

For my character leitmotifs, I can think of a few:

*One of my characters training to be a hitman (his nickname is Cross) has Boom Boom Boom by John Lee Hooker for his theme music

*I'm trying to make it so that all the Drill Sergeants are the kind of people who actually deserve to have "Why So Serious?" (the Joker's theme song from The Dark Knight) playing in the background. Especially Krieger. Failing that, one could argue for him having Come With Me Now by The Kongos

*Eliza's theme, at least for now, would probably be I'm Only Joking by the Kongos

*Eric the Entertainer gets Entertainment by Rise Against. There actually are ways that the song could really fit with him.

The Wake is actually named after a song (The Wake by Abney Park), but I feel like the proper theme for the entire serial would be the Cab's Angel with a Shotgun (I'm an angel with a shotgun, fighting 'til the war's won, I don't care if heaven won't take me back, I'll throw away my faith, babe, just to keep you safe, don't you know you're everything I have, and I want to live, not just survive, and I'm going to hide my wings tonight, which really suits a world that's about to have a lot of societal masquerades fall apart, a war begins, while our heroes struggle to have a "normal" life around it).

Each volume has a song connected to them (and those song titles are going to become the names of the novel versions). Volume 1 (since it's supposed to be split into two novels anyway) gets two - Olivia's Celestial Delinquent and Manfred Mann's Earth Band's Hollywood Town. Volume 2 (currently in progress) gets Cobra Starship's The City is at War (which is a pretty good mocking of celebrity culture). Volume 3 is planned to get Fall Out Boy's Where Did the Party Go?, and Volume 4 gets Big Bang's Beautiful Hangover (not at all for the lyrics but that title suits the character arc). This is only halfway point, but I'm still planning things out (I'm currently expecting up to 9 volumes, but possibly longer since there's a still vague second major arc that could become a thing).

Some of the individual characters get songs that suit them, even if they're not really themes.

- Lucas suits The Moffatts' I Don't Want You to Want Me (as he abuses alcohol, sex and drugs because he loathes himself and his future that much)

- Nia gets No Doubt's Just a Girl (considering a huge part of her background is her being isolated and treated like she's made of brittle glass because of her title)

- Andrew gets Switchfoot's The Beautiful Letdown (he's very religious but struggling with his parents' twisted take on it, and it takes him a long while to realise that he doesn't have to be perfect)

- The entire Wild Hunt (a team of international supernatural assassins and spies) gets Swollen Members' Lady Venom (On the plane in which you reign, it's classified as "do or die", but in the realm in which we dwell, its "puncture necks and multiply"... the hunter and the hunted, the colonizing and savages, the only challenge is, did they bring enough to dirt to bury us?, be aware, I hunt with the god as a cerberus)

- Damien gets Matthew Good Band's Failing the Rorschach Test (he kind of loses his mind a little after the events of Volume 2 and just gets worse, becomes very withdrawn when he's not acting out, and yeah. Not in a good state mentally at all)

- Simon gets Poets of the Fall's Fragile (he's surprisingly a stable force amidst the craziness that's going on around them all)

... and there are others that I can't think of right now.

A serial about a rock band uses a lot of music for inspiration. Surprising. (not.)