Need help picking a name for an internet analog

So...Like I said before my story takes place on different planets. One has and advanced version of the internet. I don't want to call it Network because I need that for something else. So I have a list of stuff to choose from:

1) Labyrinth

2) Tessellation / Tessellator

3) Variegation / Verigatior

4) Iridescence

What do you guys think?

Keep in mind that language trends toward the simple. The 'internet' was first the 'internetwork' but that got shortened and is colloquially shortened to 'the net'. The 'world wide web' became the 'web'. Words and terms we use more often, because we're lazy/efficient as a species, will naturally mutate into something easier to say. These words in particular are effective because they also evoke a mental image of what the internet is, with just three letters. Net. Web.

The problem I have with your four options is that they don't seem like words that people would jump to when they want to name something so important and omnipresent in one's life. Further, they don't naturally shorten into terms that really roll off the tongue. 'Lab' is too far from what you're wanting to describe, 'Tess' is too soft at the end, 'vary' is similarly limp as a word, and 'rid' or 'dess' don't sound strong, and have vague negative feelings to them.

I would not recommend any of the four as a natural sounding word/label.

Starting points would be to look into just what makes this planet's internet different from the net we know. How is it deployed, accessed, and used? What does it emphasize? Does it have sinister connotations or positive ones?

I guess it depends on the image you're going for. Labyrinth brings to mind a maze (and David Bowie), tessellation a pattern, variegation and iridescence colours.

You also might consider how those terms would work in everyday speech, the way we use shorthands like "net" and "web". I mean, I can't imagine the average person saying "I logged into the verigatior" unless they were trapped in a 1970s episode of Doctor Who (unless, of course, that's what you're aiming for).

*edit* In other words, what Wildbow said while I was off flipping through Willy G novels.

>> They don't seem like words that people would jump to when they want to name something so important and omnipresent in one's life.

I didn't think of that Wildblow, however I disagree with you on the names not sounding important. For our world, maybe. As for this planet? Well it's more mythical or fantasy-like with hints sci-fi elements and people can use other sources of communication besides the "internet"

>> How is it deployed, accessed, and used? What does it emphasize? Does it have sinister connotations or positive ones?

On this plant there are two- One is named already and has negative connotations, however this one is more positive. I can't really describe much about it, because it was mention offhandedly in story. So I hadn't really built it up yet.

I guess I would say. Its more a connected virtual reality network that is often used for scyring, holograms, virtual projections and simulations.

>> You also might consider how those terms would work in everyday speech, the way we use shorthands like "net" and "web".

I'm feeling Irdescention or Iradea/Irada/Iradia for short

I personally would go something that means "web" or "network". Your choices of "variegation" and "iridescence" seem to follow a colour theme, which I don't quite understand.

My suggestion would probably be something like "tanglespace", with the -space part implying that the internet is an information dimension of its own, as you said it's an advanced version of the Internet.

The least jarring versions of this in other fiction I have read (where someone decides they need something like the internet that they can't call the internet for some reason) have been something extremely technical-sounding that shortens conveniently to a 3 or 4 letter pronounceable acronym.

A magical VR network? I'd call it the Mirror. Maybe with a long form like the Iridescent Mirror, if you want to keep iridescence in it. A shortened name will be one or two syllables not three.

Or if you use Iridescence directly, shiorten it to Iris maybe?

AVR, Those are both pretty good choices. Hmm.

Another possibility is that people may not refer to the 'network' itself, but by the interface/program/whatever that's used to access it. Some people I know basically refer to the entire internet as Google, and others don't really differentiate between the browser program and the content it accesses. Any more than, in general parlance, one differentiates all that much between a television and its channels -- it's all "watching TV".

>> Its more a connected virtual reality network that is often used for scyring, holograms, virtual projections and simulations.

Given the scrying/imagery focus, you might consider a water-based name. Also hearkens back to rivers being the original highways (cf 'information highway').

Also, 'aether' might be apt as part of the name, if you aren't already using the term somewhere.

Aether is alright but I don't see how I'd mix it with a water term. Nothing seems to really fit. Iris or Mirror is good. Maybe even Iris Mirror.

My fae have their own internet, it's referred to as "the collect", originally "the collection", and you have "collect-enabled devices".

Just to put in my 2 cents, how about Gestalt? Shortened to Ges? It means something that is greater than the sum of their parts, a nice description of the internet.

The issue is that words ending in soft sounds tend to hold less currency in language. We instinctively know this, and when reading about stuff, it'll rub us wrong even though we can't quite put our finger on it. It's why a lot of 'elf' fiction with character, artifact, and place names ending in 'a', 'sh' 'ss' 'f' sounds will ring false and get very tiresome to read. This was why I dismissed 'Tess' and 'Dess' above in my own post.

The TL;DR is that I wouldn't recommend 'Iradia' or 'Ges'. They don't roll across the tongue or have punch, won't read well, and are hard to plug into other words. Span, Grid, Sky, etc, might be stronger words with the right expansive feel.

Gestalt wouldn't shorten to 'Ges', either. It's pronounced guh-STAWLT (I'm using it myself, but for something else entirely, where it's more commonly referred to as a "G-Man").

Oh... I always though it was pronounced jest - TALT or guest-TALT. And maybe Gest as abbreviation would be better......?

The use of the word 'Gestalt' in any context always throws me. It's basically a german word meaning 'appearance' or 'figure'.

Oh. Didn't know that. Are you German per chance?

Yeah, it's a bit weird to read.

How about Depth? Or just Deep. Short, sounds a bit like a prolonged web and only a tiny bit soft.

Not German, but from a German-speaking country. :)

How 'bout Reach? It's a nice name, easy to say and it means web in Frisian:)