New Look

After reading some of the excellent feedback here with regard to site design I thought I would try and bring my sorely neglected website up to date with a new look: http://roydss.blogspot.com

I have struggled to get blogger to indent the first line of each paragraph so that I can lose the return in between but with no luck. Should I lose the return anyway or leave it as it is?

Is there anything else I can do to make the site work better?

Thanks

M

Unfortunately, from the looks of your HTML, you would have to completely re-enter the content in order to significantly re-style it, as most of the formatting is done inline. Unfortunately, that's one of the problems of doing cut-and-paste from a word processor into a rich-text editing box on a website. :-(

Oh well.... LOL

Thanks, Chris :)

Do you use LibreOffice or OpenOffice? If you do, there is a plugin for it called "Alternative Find and replace for Writer" that provides an enhanced find and replace interface that can convert your text into basic HTML. Basically it surrounds all your paragraphs with paragraph tags, all your italics with italic tags and all your bolds with bold tags... and that's it. You can then cut and paste the text into your post window, submit it, and it gives you pretty clean code you can style however you like.

Thanks ubersoft - I'll check it out :)

Mine is on blogger, too, and it can be a little difficult sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, I like it and would recommend it, but as for spacing and whatnot goes, you're kind of at their mercy.

I also use the space between paragraphs instead of an indent. I kind of have to do it on blogger, but even if I didn't, I'd still do it. That's just how I write. It's a good idea to break up big, unbroken walls of text. I realize in printed books, you're looking at a big wall of text, but reading on a computer screen is different. You want to break up your text on a screen so it's friendlier, less intimidating, and looks less of a task to read. The less work your reader thinks he has to commit to, the bigger chance you have of capturing his attention.

I like that your reading pane is narrow. That's good. And your font is easy to read. "Easy to read" would be what I would consider the single most important thing. So you seem to have that covered well.

I have a string of picture widgets down one side of mine, and a bunch of various other widgets down the other side. People might not scroll down to look at text, but believe you me they will do it to look at pictures. So you may want to consider sexying up that empty space there down the side. The nice thing about pictures is that all the reader has to do is glance at it and be instantly a "thousand word" into your story.

Man. You get a lot of comments! Good work! :-DD I'm jealous!

Thanks for the feedback, Regina. Much appreciated.

I think this is the 4th "new look" the site has had. Every now and again I feel like a change. The design prior to this one was based on character artwork, you can still see how it looked from the listing here at WFG.

Now I just need to get back on the horse and start writing again :)

I like the new banner a lot. The artwork reminds me of Klimt.

While I do like the color scheme for readability, on my browser (Chrome and Firefox), the text seems to take up only 80% of the width of the white box. Not sure how it is looking on other browsers, but I'm finding this a bit odd. Was that intentional?

Thanks for the feed back SgL :)

The original artwork is by Frances Macdonald McNair, the sister of Margaret Macdonald, wife of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, and one of a group of female artists known as the "Glasgow Girls." I'm a great fan of the Macdonald sisters, Frances in particular, and the distinctive Glasgow Style.

"While I do like the color scheme for readability, on my browser (Chrome and Firefox), the text seems to take up only 80% of the width of the white box. Not sure how it is looking on other browsers, but I'm finding this a bit odd. Was that intentional? "

Yes. I use Firefox too. I followed sound advice given on this forum. Since adopting this style (just over one month ago)I have noticed that more readers are taking the time to read through the story in one sitting, taking on average 3 hours. I am happy to stick with it, and if my experience is anything to go by, I would recommend it to others :)

I'm curious what the connection is between the 80% width and increased readership. Does it have something to do with phone apps?

I'm not sure, phone apps seem to account for only 5% of readers.

I took the advice Chris Poirier gave on another post here on the forum. If I remember correctly, he said it made reading online easier on the eye or something like that :)