New site - Static or posts?

I've been going around reading various Fiction Blogs. In setting mine up, I am wondering, is it easier to have a static frontpage with links to each installment/chapter? Or keep it a blog setup and just have a top announcement giving the link to the beginning? (I'm using Wordpress)

Chanteen

The nice thing about using posts in Wordpress is that you get the RSS feed. Pages don't go to the RSS feed. Also, internally, it is more expensive for WordPress to process pages than posts -- if you start to get a lot of pages, you might notice the difference.

What I do is use posts for installments, then a page for the index/cover page. That way, I get the best of both worlds. If you need more info, just ask.

Chris.

Thanks Chris, when I finally get around to setting mine up, I may fire off a few tech questions!

Chanteen

When using Wordpress it is probably best to use posts instead of pages. Especially because thou can tie them together with categories and split out filler/news/etc from the actual storyline -- and even present it in different ways with judicious use of themes.

New visitors definitely need to be directed to the beginning; and returning users will probably be using the RSS to leap to the right place or hop into the archives. Thus, thou could use the front page to display news items from the posts feed -- again more theme related stuff.

Knowing how to spin a theme can really make a Wordpress blog sing.

The rule is probably: time line sensitive and sequential content as posts; and anything else like character intros, teasers, links pages, and other leaf elements to the site as static pages.

Check this out. If I'm not reading you wrong, this is exactly what you're looking for, assuming you're doing Wordpress: http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2008/09/08/sticky-posts/

I give the readers as many different ways to look at things as possible. If you like it newest-first, you can get that. If you like it in a hierarchy, you can get that too.