My first of hopefully many novels is complete. Started August 13th, ended Jan 3rd... including the three prologue chapters. Without those, literally ended on Christmas.
The book turned out to be a bit of a monster... I had originally intended around 25 chapters and 50k-ish words.
What I ended up with was 61 chapters and 150k words. Heh. Oops.
I made a few mistakes in the planning, like putting too much emphasis on building the world instead of focusing on the character and major events, leaving lulls in the story. I mean, that was partly by design- I firmly believe the "full nitro burn" method is toxic to good storytelling, and you need ebbs and flows in action and drama, to create points of relaxation and seeing your characters in relaxed situations.
Plus, I had to establish the world for ((SPOILERS!)).
I just... there didn't need to be so many.
I play a long game with my writing, it's just in my nature, and to the point that there are things that are shown in chapter 1 that don't show their true significance until the final epilogue. I'm actually proud of this, though aware it's not everyone's cup of tea. Ending the book on a cliff hanger hanger and then moving to another story with a different set of characters may earn me some rage as well.
And now I'm taking a bit of a breather to chew things over, cleanse my pallet of character voices to make room for the new, maybe reorganize my site a bit, and then it's time for book two. Of fifteen that I know I can write.
Hopefully, I keep the word count a little more manageable this time around.