Pirated?

I just discovered someone posted Scary Mary over at wattpad. (Actually, they posted it a while back. I just didn't know until now.) My name is attached to it, but nothing about my website is mentioned. I'm working on getting this copy removed, but I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue. Also I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this. I know some authors, who offer their work free, would love for it to be posted and reposed all over the internet, but I'm not very happy about this idea. How do others feel when faced with this situation?

My books keep showing up on scribd. I just post a comment with my web address and ask the poster to please provide a link back to my site.

Furthermore, google alerts just let me know that three of my books are now a torrent on demonoid.

I guess I'm not much help though, because I'm kind of in the camp of, "Yay, exposure!" I do wish there was a link back to my site, so that the people reading the books could find my other stuff and (maybe) buy something. But them's the breaks, I figure. The last thing I want to be is Lars from Metallica, so I'm just letting it go.

I've had it happen twice; the first time with an online serial I wrote called "The Dead of Winter" which was basically just a zombie fic--someone stole it, renamed it ("The Day The Dead Walked" or something?), attached their name to it, and posted it on another website. I actually had an awful time about getting people to believe it was mine and to get it taken down (and reposted without the offending party's name attached).

The second time was less villainous--I've had my PDFs for Arcadia Snips snatched up and uploaded on various sites. My solution was fairly straightforward--I modified the PDF to include a very obvious note in the beginning mentioning the website and asking anyone who was reading this online to check out the homepage, or at least forward the story to friends if they enjoyed it.

I put PDFs out first and asked readers who enjoyed them to pass them around, so within a month they were on 16 megaupload sites in several languages and have recently gone to bit torrent and isohunt.

I think it's brilliant.

But then, as I asked in the first few posts here, for authors who hope to make money from digital fiction, is there any real protection from self seeding? I can't see it. All the copyright info is on my docs, and I guess anyone interested can, and do, just Google.

Thanks for the input. I don't know if I'm being 'selfish' or not. The one thing that is a little irksome to me is that wattpad allows comments and feedback. My story hasn't gotten a lot of attention there, but the fact that people can discover it and discuss it without me knowing is annoying because I'd like to be aware of that stuff.

I'd really flip out if my name weren't mentioned. The fact that the poster at least mentions my name at the top of the document is the only thing keeping me from foaming at the mouth.

I have gone and set up some google alerts for my stories. Probably should've done that ages ago.

I don't think it is selfish to want to claim ownership for your work. Lars gets bagged because Metallica has more money than God, but some of their fight was in the name of young artists who did not have the resources to fight to protect their music and their income.

This debate will go on for a few years yet, but at the bottom line, artists have a right to sell their work. It is as valid and valuable as any other product. It is a delusion to believe that the majority of people will pay for something they can easily get for free. Arguments over brand awareness and the value of free content as advertising all make valid points, but I am waiting to see what platforms emerge, and what models succeed and fail before I commit to one side or another.

While the debate goes on, artist all have to remember that their work is a marker for the state of society. It should not be made worthless.