Professionally edited e-book releases: how should I do this?

So, for my next serial (I know, that's, like, three in eight months, but this one is more long-haul type stuff) I am going to write several 12,000-word mystery novellas, all featuring the same characters. I want to release each volume in e-book format for $0.99, and every four volumes collected into a $2.99 book, in both print and e-book. They would be edited by a (semi)professional editor for this release. I was wondering if I was going about this the right way, or if I should do it differently.

P.S. Here's the website: http://satanismyname.wordpress.com

I'm not sure there's a "wrong" way to go about it; everything right now is still in a state of experimentation. Personally, I would price novellas higher! But maybe the 99-cent price point will work for you. :)

Hmm, really? Can I ask why you'd price them higher? I'm curious because I'm nearly done the first book of my web series and was planning on putting it together in an ebook and sell for 99 cents on Amazon.

Pricing for eBooks is a funny thing. I read somewhere that 99c content generally get's worse reviews/sales just because it's so cheap and people assume it will be bad..?

Not sure if it's right though.

For the most part, you are. But for short works, $0.99 is perfect, because you aren't getting as much for the amount you're paying. The 4-volume collections will be 3.99 because it comes with more.

Also, look at Wool. It was $0.99, and it is one of the most popular books on the Kindle store.

Huh...well now I'm not really sure what to do...personally I'm far more likely to pay 99 cents for an ebook, but I'm really not the target audience as I only do about 10%, if that, of my reading through ebooks. Quandary...

I price my novellas higher because if I don't I have nowhere to price my short stories! And novellas take longer to write--and to read. But I use a tiered approach that may or may not be ideal. Some authors, I know, price all their shorts at $2.99 and their novellas more than that.

The only thing I would definitely suggest is stating out front in the description that something is a short story, or a novella, or a novel, etc, so readers know what they're getting. I know I am irritated when I download something for a price that makes me expect a certain length, only to discover it's shorter.

Well, obviously, it'll be the first line of the description. And if they were longer, I would price them higher, but as it is, they are on the short side for novellas. Maybe $1.99 and $4.99.

What you might see, though, with the .99 price point is the "I don't normally read stuff in this genre and this is why. This story sucked". At least at 1.99 you tend to cut out some of that and keep yourself limited to people who are shopping in your genre for a reason.

Personally, I would price 4-12k words at .99, 13-20 at 1.99, above 20 at 2.99 (because it feels right)

Ebook pricing is a slippery beast, trends are still developing, and you should be prepared to be flexible with it throughout the book's life (to get the best results). Also, don't underestimate the value of free ebooks.

Smashwords do annual statistics gathering on ebook sizing, pricing, and sales performance, and the results can be really interesting. Check out this blog post to see what has been working lately and where the best (and worst) price-points are: http://blog.smashwords.com/2013/05/new-smashwords-survey-helps-authors.html

Interesting analysis. I'd love to see some data on review rating vs sales but also pricing vs review rating!