Reddit

I just thought I would share an experience.

A friend of mine posted about my serial on reddit.

What a way to get exposure, but oh my god my stats are mangled.

1200 unique visitors in a day. 0ver 3k views.

Today has been the first day after. There has been an uptick in readers beyond those directly referred. Whether they are returning or from other places I just don't know.

I will keep you all informed if you wish.

I've had that happen. 1200 in a day is great, though.

Generally you see a spike, then it plateaus, and it settles down at a new average that's a little higher than where you were. But of those people who just saw, some will like what you wrote, and they'll recommend you at a later point. Keep going, don't give them a reason to stop reading, and you'll see more steady growth, and more recommendation days.

It was kind of funny looking at your stats Tempest

Its funnier today. All my good days look bad now.

As someone who wants to try this but doesn't know the most appropriate subreddit to post in. I would like to request advice on the matter.

webfiction would be the subreddit for you, Taulsn. Definitely webfiction.

Already in there and have been for the last month

The best threads to feed me new readers have been the popular, front-page or close-to-front-page threads. Something vaguely superhero related, a link on a mid-to-high comment can send 500+ people my way easy. Forget accuracy or relevant reddits.

Thank you, Wilbow. Time for some shameless self promotion.

People will recognize self promotion for what it is. It's really up to your fans, imho.

People will recognize self promotion for what it is. It's really up to your fans, imho.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm still hoping for a bit of luck and/or help with reddit myself. Maybe one day.

George:Could an appeal to your fans work? Maybe a claim of not understanding the reddit thingy.

To be honest I only made an account last week to see what it was all about. I don't really get it.

Wildbow: Its working exactly like you predicted. Its settled down but I've got about a 30% increase in readership.

George:Could an appeal to your fans work?

Unless it happens naturally, I don't think it would take. I think it's just a combination of luck and writing something that gets folks excited enough to wanna talk about it.

Reddit's pretty simple. Make a headline that doubles as a link to either text or something else (a site, image). It gets upvoted or downvoted based on interest, relevance or (it isn't supposed to be, but it does get rated on) whether people agree/disagree with the idea therein. Some people put a lot of stock in the total number of upvotes they've received to date, called 'karma'. There's also 'gold', which is bought by redditors and awarded to particularly deserving posts, helping to fund the site while giving the person who got gold some convenient bonuses for effective browsing (see more on one page, see what you've already viewed, etc).

Based on the number of upvotes or downvotes vs. the time it was posted (early upvotes matter more than late ones), stuff rises and falls in the lists. This includes comments & comment strings. Something with no upvotes will disappear into obscurity, while something with a lot of upvotes can make it to the front page, which means 100,000+ people might check it out. The default frontpage (ie. the page you see when you visit reddit.com) is basically limited to the 10 or so subreddits with the most subscribers. Funny, Gonewild, adviceanimals, IAMA (I am a ____, ask me anything), pics, science, atheism, and so on.

Reddit is divided into subreddits, each one focusing on a different subject (or different perspectives/approaches to the same subject - there's something like ten . There's a subreddit for just about everything except the most reprehensible stuff (the jailbait subreddit got closed down around the time I joined, IIRC). You can subscribe and unsubscribe to include or filter out specific headlines. If you're a big user of Reddit, you might want to use the enhancement suite, which gives you more freedom, data, and (something I like) the ability to filter out certain stuff. Good for avoiding spoilers or screening out the more annoying junk.

Some subreddits are maligned by the community. Men's Rights ("We think guys get screwed over by society sometimes") and Childfree ("We don't want to have kids"), for example, get weird looks and strangers visiting only to downvote them that are pretty undeserved, IMHO, while others like TheRedPill ("Being a jerk alpha male will get you girls"), Spacedicks ("This guy just mutilated himself below the belt, gallery inside") and SRS (Shit Reddit Says, extreme feminists saying, "Let's mount downvote brigades against perceived misogyny & jerkishness!") are despised and/or considered creepy for perfectly just reasons.

Reddit is something of a timesink, and you can easily kill hours just browsing it, but it's also a great way to stay on top of things in your fields of interest. It's not unusual to hear about stuff on reddit before you hear about them by more conventional channels, and if you're interested in anything creative or a particular hobby, Reddit provides a way to keep your thumb on the pulse of the community and get a sense of ongoing trends and interest.

Subreddits are preceded by the /r/ tag. Usernames are preceded by the /u/ tag.

/r/writing is a good place to go for advice on writing or something in that light, but tends to have more inexperienced writers than experienced ones, and a lot of very vague, nebulous questions like, "How do I get over my writer's block?"

http://www.reddit.com/r/writing/

/r/shutupandwrite is more disciplined, and doesn't accept that sort of wishy washy stuff, but it's disciplined in a way that makes it hard to get into. Stuff is strictly categorized and many topics are strictly confined to threads that appear on a schedule, like the weekly 'what are you reading?' threads.

http://www.reddit.com/r/shutupandwrite/

/r/worldbuilding is just that. You sort of have to sift through a lot of maps and stuff drawn in MSpaint, but there are a few gems of questions that can get your creative juices flowing or get you thinking about your setting in question. One I liked from the other day was "What are the countercultures in your setting?"

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding

Self promotion will generally get downvoted, but I often browse /r/writing and reply to comments, sharing my own experience. Frequently, people ask for a link to my writing, and I get 20-50 new readers when that happens. Not enough to be worth the time, arguably, but not bad for something I might be doing otherwise.

Wow sounds like you had a good day, Tempest! :D Good to note on all of this, thanks especially to Wildbow for the reddit crash course and links!

I only started using reddit recently, frequenting a YA author forum, but I haven't tried any of the others. Shutupandwrite sounds like it fits me! :)

This is why I'm so bad at self-promotion.

I'll check out the other reddits when time permits. The http://www.reddit.com/r/yawriters is a great community btw. Everyone's very supportive and it's almost treated like a little classroom for traditional and self-publishing.

Yeah, it was a pretty cool thing. Scary though, a lot of serial readers know the score. Typos, messed up formatting and the gradual improvement. A bunch of viewers from /r/fantasy, didn't but they were gentle. It always amazes me how forgiving readers can be.

Aren't readers the best? But I'm in the same boat with rewrites. I'm rewriting chapter one as we speak! So tough. And yes, they're always forgiving! So grateful.

A friend of mine recently made a viral tumblr post that got 100K notes in a day. When asked how it felt to get so much attention in one day, she said "Kind of stressful, to be honest!" I can only imagine.

Magelife looks wonderful, and I'm a HUGE Jason Chan fan! Did you commission him to draw your bg?? Does he do commissions??? I feel obligated to paint my own covers or have my husband do the same, but if I didn't have those options Jason Chan would be the first person I would contact.

And you also remind me to have a list of other web fiction on my site! It's something I always meant to do but never got around to because I wanted to actually read everything first, but I just don't think I'll have to the time to. :x There's so many promising ones on my list. I should just link to those.

Needless to say, your site gave me lots to think about just in terms of its design and I look forward to seeing your book develop. ^_^

I'm not getting 100k notes or anything like that, but I do have some popularity - three to five thousand readers a da yon Worm, even months after it's ended, and three thousand-ish daily visitors on Pact. I'm past the point where I can keep track of what's being said about Worm.

In recent months/weeks, I've seen a few online content creators hit the wall. Youtube reviewer/letsplayer Totalbiscuit posted a rant on reddit where he basically outlined all the issues he's been having with the heavy criticism, to the point where it was really affecting him on a fundamental level. Thunt, creator of popular webcomic 'Goblins', essentially had what looks to be a nervous breakdown and went from a consistent update schedule to a 2-month hiatus. Other health issues (Totalbiscuit apparently had cancer) aside, it's basically an illustration of what happens when your audience grows. Having only a very small fraction of their audience, I'm still totally seeing where they're coming from.

When Letsplayer Markiplier was interviewed, some time ago, the interviewer asked him, "How are you one of the only content creators out there who hasn't had a nervous breakdown?"

Having only a few thousand readers, a few hundred comments per chapter, reams of fanfiction and all that, I can totally see how it's possible. The feedback and criticism and unsolicited advice and stupid questions are *relentless*. Like, easily two or more of each of the above per hour, every day. More in waves following chapters. There are always people who are going to be dissatisfied and you can't ignore them 100% or your work is going to become myopic. Totalbiscuit said that there's no distance between the online content creator and the audience, and he's right. There's no stepping away, and you can't work without working alongside your audience. If you disconnect from the audience, the audience resents you. My dad (who reads my stuff) commented that I hadn't been commenting on my own chapters, and I hadn't. I'd gotten overwhelmed, I'd become busy, and I just lost track of it. And since I started commenting again, I've noticed a bit of a boost in readers.

It matters. You can't unplug. And if you're really serious about this, you can't take a break. The cost is too great.

I'm presently working on getting more exercise, changing my diet, changing my attitude (even little things, like when I wake up, pumping one fist in the air and greeting the day with a "fuck yeah!"), and just getting into a better space. Because I want to be doing this for a long time, and I'm already getting a taste of how brutal it can be when your audience grows.

Yeah, totally scary stuff.

Amy: I wish i could afford to get him to draw something just for me but i found it on a free wallpaper site. then i had to go through the headache of finding out who it was by, then asking for permission. He is surprisingly cool about it. Just added the url and mentioned him. after getting the permission.

If I ever get finished I intend to beg him to draw something for me.

Wildbow: I don't have anywhere near those numbers, but I totally get what your saying with growth, even now I have my doc open plugging away, building my buffer just in case. I dont want to let anyone down.