Shared World Anthology: Worldbuilding stage two

Okay, I've codified and put together some information on the main ideas that have been presented that fit with chosen themes (for the most part) https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSdlH7AViOaurJDAp1iyID552_87yyqImoSQcGzGktR1virxJQUn-Ah20TNvDlzBCteJgM7WZiFS6rf/pub

please discuss the ideas, as well as put out new ones if desired! I will make a voting document on Friday and leave it up for a week before we get to work on the final fleshing of the chosen world.

It looks like the Mysterious Island concept could be an origin story for The Company concept. They seem pretty similar. Anyway, those are definitely my favourite concepts. Looks awesome.

I'm on board with the ship. First on my list is the merchant ship, then the lost generation ship, and then the island idea is third out of three for me.

I'm definitely for the two ship ideas, mine foremost, of course. The Heat-Death problem is a good idea. Perhaps the reactor is over-exerting.

"She can't take much more, captain!"

Now maybe the captain and scientists have the difficult choice of lessening its burden by cutting off energy to certain sections, with the crew planning against them to save themselves. And the planet below is the only option for many's survival.

I would vote that whoever they're raiding not be too technologically inferior. Something like a terraformed colony by another civilization? With some ships and weaponry, but fewer numbers. Then with the three major sides being the captain's circle (and their infighting), the crew factions, and the planetsiders.

"The Company" is interesting, in that it reminds me very strongly of my own "Epsilon Project"... but related, the "Bigger Freedom" may be as much of a challenge as it is a benefit. If someone is interested primarily in horror (for instance) they may only be interested in reading the 2 "horror" stories of the couple dozen created by the authors -- and the "opening story" being a necessary read might then act as a barrier (if it's more fantasy oriented).

"Mysterious Island" makes me think vaguely of Voyager's episode "Displaced", when the crew got transported into some ship that had a bunch of different biospheres all through it. I think something that would need to be established there would be whether all the people now on this "island" know each other, or even retain their memories. If so, why do "inhabitants" need to build to survive, why not live the way the always did? No more electricity sort of deal, or was this not THEIR island?

Don't misunderstand me here, I poke at those because I actually prefer them over the "Generation Ship" angle... maybe because I feel like such a ship would need to be pretty well mapped out in advance (how far is it from the engine room to the bridge, what happens if gravity generators go offline, etc) whereas the others can be more modular. But then, I'm just one guy with an opinion.

Mathtans, those are all things to be discussed and worked on. I do agree with the genre possibly limiting readers, but it is what it is.

https://goo.gl/forms/4tyWkqtJ3PChIUzc2 please go vote everyone!

"Flying city take three: Generation ship of DOOM" is missing from the form. Was it removed? I only get one vote, and I don't expect it to win, but I do wonder where it went. I'll cast my vote in the 'other' field for now.

Doh! Ive added it and corrected your vote. sorry!

Thanks! And thanks for hosting this awesome event.

Hello!! Are you all still open to new folks joining and suggesting stuffs??

I have been pondering/planning (simmering on the backburner) a very similar idea for nearly a year now.

I would love to participate! Honestly though, I am in it for the worldbuilding more than anything else...

Anyways, if you'll have me, here are my thoughts on this:

I think itd be best to keep the world simple, but flexible.

For instance:

A central world at the hub of a multiverse (perhaps the whole thing is virtual to make lore/physics/magic play together nicely).

Everyone starts from their own corner of the world (or in the main part, your choice).

But if you start from your own world, your story would thus include the experience of transitioning between your reality and that of the hub world.

The hub world itself allows for all realities and things to coexist, as it is in between them all. But they cannot interact.. they just coexist, almost like in their own (invisible) bubbles. This keeps unintended and uncontrollable stuff from happening, but still retains the quirkyness of having scifi and fantasy together...

The story would thus be adventuring from your home world to the hub world, or reverse, or really anything in between...

However, I dont mind just picking from what is there too.

I personally like the Multiverse Ship the most, both because of its ability to actually tie this whole storyverse up with any later storyverses (via some epic easter eggs in our personal stories). But also because it provides that structure.

I would change the premise a bit to be more solid and accommodating.

1) Put all the ideas together...

The Ship is generational, everyone can thus do with the ship what they want in their generation. Perhaps the crew was full of riffraff and barbarians, perhaps you moored in a city the whole time, perhaps you lived a long life of capitalistic merchandising, perhaps you chanced into a hellish 'verse... whatever. This will keep all the things folks want while maintaining structure and scope.

And you can take the Star Trek creed to the next level:

"Reality, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Mverse Enterprise. Its fiscal-year mission: to explore strange new 'verses, to seek out new profits and new opportunities, to boldly go where no company has gone before."

Furthermore, the ship can be lost in space/time due to one generation unmooring themselves from their base universe in order to maximize profits. So you also have that 'drifting' feel as well as the ability and cause to become a 'legend' amongst the various places you visit.

OR

2) Reverse Hyperion...

Make the ship a universe/multiverse in and of itself; so each story either takes place in a part of the ship, or as a denizen traveling from one part of the ship to another (and thus through different universes) in some kind of rite of passage. This both limits the scope while still keeping it flexible for everyone to write their own stories.

Plus is a very unique and interesting premise, if I do say so myself :P

The 'why and how' of this verse-sized ship is our own reality...in a way, our body, planet, solar system, galaxy, and likely universe each are ships carrying its crew through space and time. Ships are the natural order of things.

Just like how humans will probably take control of our evolution to (re)engineer our bodies, the same will happen to our planet (terra forming) and then solar system (dyson sphere), and then galaxy (intergalactic wormholes), and universe (interdimensional gateways)... So its not too hard to imagine an interdimensional species that either turned its multiverse into a ship, or put multiple pocket dimensions in their ship...

In both of these, there is no need for an 'introduction story' if you dont want it. Because the very action of creating this storyverse is what will set the tone and direction (if needed) through solid worldbuilding.

Feedback/discussion welcome... thanks for reading and for starting this!

Am I cool now!? Can I haz place here?? :D

well, further fleshing out will happen once we pick a concept. you're more than welcome to hop in, go vote on the survey link!

also, fill out the interest form so I have your contact info and know what you're interested in!

https://goo.gl/forms/EFnRgcdWVfNBDIj12

yes, several of the questions are kinda moot now, but answer anyways!

My personal preference is for the Company idea, but I'm willing to have a go at anything. :)

It was starting to seem kind of stalled. Glad we're still moving, though I'm not sure if we're still on track.

I'm not as big a fan of the Company thing because it doesn't sound like there's much purpose to it if it's as highly-advanced. If it's just one ship or one island, it doesn't work, because there's not much of a reason for them to go around getting stuff. What good is gold with nothing to buy?

There is a way to make it work a little better, but it probably goes more into the area people don't like. An alternate history story I once read actually involved a company that figured out time travel, but in the multiverse way where each past they visit creates an alternate timeline, so it never affects their own past.

This company used it to do things like go back in time to the 1800s and get as much oil out of the world as they could without so much armed resistance. And when they did have armed resistance, they had Genghis Khan's mongol warriors from another timeline as mercenaries, with motorcycles and guns. All the while, the company's representative was living the good life with modern luxuries and dating Marie Antoinette.

So it'd have to be a world instead of just an island or just a ship, because a company, in the business sense, needs a reason to make money. If it's just hoarding it all because it owns the land and nobody really needs to pay for anything, then why are they doing anything at all?

I'm really not sure how much of that fits the tone y'all are wanting, though it did just give me some ideas about time travel and sex slavery that'd be interesting to keep on a back burner. Or time travel and prostitution.

PG, because even with infinite worlds, with a limit to HOW you transport between them, resources are finite. The purposes of the company , explored through teh stories, would be, officially, to morally exploit the multiverse, gaining technologies, entertainments, trade goods, while simultanously preventing others, perhaps less moral others, from doing the same.

A person-sized amount of a rare and valuable substance is still a lot. For example, some have estimated that a life-sized statue of Andre the Giant made out of gold would weigh about 7,258.72 lbs. due to how much more gold weighs than human. According to another website that gives the value of gold by weight, that one statue would be worth $124,122,288.05. If only I had $124,122,288 and a nickel for every time I've seen that much gold.

Even if you went with gold that only weighed as much as 200 lb, which wouldn't be that much since it is so heavy, that's like $3.5 million. Platinum has some nice numbers too, though I'm not sure how dense that is compared to gold and human. About 200 lbs. of platinum is currently valued at slightly more than $2.5 million. That might be a little tough for Earth, though you could always use the technology to displace lots of stone and such out of the way, could even use it to get people onto an asteroid for easy asteroid mining.

Of course, that brings us to a problem that any economist has likely been yelling at the screen about since the gold Andre the Giant statue. Sudden, huge influxes of such materials would not be worth that much for very long, since prices of rare metals are often closely tied to them being rare. That rarity is the main reason gold has been a medium of exchange despite having little in the way of practical use. It has some in aerospace and computers, but most gold exists in the form of jewelry, coins, medals, and bars meant as an investment. So if you suddenly dump a bunch of Andre statues on the market, you'll devalue gold and could lose a lot of money on the stock market.

Because of that investing part of things, I'm not sure how well you could use De Beers's diamond strategy. That's just an area where I've hit the limits of my knowledge as a humble giant country lawyer chicken.

On the plus side, it IS possible to use a lot of excess gold to manipulate the market and make more money, but that might involve bribing lots of investigators. Depends. I'd have to understand more about the concept of shorting to see how well it'd work by releasing a virtual army of golden Andre the Giants upon the planet. Yes, go my minions. March upon wall street, and burn their economy to ashes! MWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

This thread is really giving me some ideas now...

Hello Psycho Gecko!! Pleasure to finally meet you, I remember reading your comments on Worm, now I'm out of the shadows.. a bit haha!!

As for The Conpany, though I really like the multiverse approach, I also agree that the concept of capitalism is not really a great or even plausible force for this sort of endeavor... of course it could happen, but it'd be very much moot in a future where one has the tech and energy to travel across whole universes.

Even today, though capitalism is pushing boundaries, the tendency towards corruption in terms of prioritizing profit over progress is a huge barrier and example as to why companies may not be the best space pioneer. SpaceX and Blue Origin themselves are more examples of what ambitious rich people are want to do rather than what one does to get rich.

Nevertheless, in the case that privatization and business is what brings folks to space, they'd likely trade in the means of travel and perhaps information rather than any rare commodities. Though that could be a thing, likely plenty of rare commodities to resell and monopolize the market with, information and transportation, especially in such an ostensibly large area as the multiverse, would be far more profitable.

I honestly don't get what you're saying about gold in this context PG, but if valuable substances are not devalued by stuff like replicator tech, then folks will likely just switch to rarer substances as they come along.... and the crazy rich will build planet sized statues out of 'unobtanium'

Nice to meet you as well, Shadow.

The point about gold was to show that even a relatively small amount of a substance could still be worth a huge amount. If the multiverse travel is limited in some way, we know it has to at least be able to transport something the size of a human body. Andre the Giant is a bit of an extreme there, but still somewhat representative of the size of a human body.

The gold thing is just about pointing out how any rare valuable resources that are brought back are going to be worth less and less the more they do it and could wreck their own planet's economy. They would only be worth grabbing for a certain amount of time before the cost of dimensional travel becomes greater than the cost of obtaining that resource. It'd be the homeless people on the street sleeping in discarded boxes of unobtanium because it's so common as to be worthless.

I think motivation/purpose is something that could theoretically be worked out in later stages too. Perhaps "The Company" is a bunch of archaeologists who want to see what happens if they introduce a particular item to a civilization at a particular time, as they attempt to better one particular worldline over all others - it's not about money or morality but about knowledge. My own "Epsilon Project" has as a motivation for their station removing "anomalies" from certain worlds, items or people that were displaced from wherever they were supposed to be, and are causing havoc on those other worlds. (I figured that out somewhere in the middle of Story 2, I think.)

As far as the whole time travel aspect goes, I'm not going to say I'm an expert, but I have probably done more reading (and writing?) on the subject than most. If anyone wants a feasibility analysis for certain ways of bending the temporal multiverse.