Subjects you do and don't avoid - Fiction as Essay

As someone who likes to debate and talk philosophy, that's not what I want to do here, but I want to ask how it is you express your worldviews in writing. Beyond the unintentional, which is the unavoidable, and understanding that most don't frame their works explicitly as a kind of thesis, but I thought it'd make a good thread to ask: What subjects have you consciously answered and avoided in your writing?

What parts of yourself do you put into your work? An indomitable protagonist drudging on against the odds? A misunderstood hero with good intentions? What does your story say about the world? If you had to be analytical, how much of your writing speaks directly about things, and is it a nihilistic attitude, a hopeful one?

I stuck to broad stuff, I know, and avoided giving race and other social issues an address, even though it came up in the interplay between my black protagonist and demon side character, and in the Utopian themes. Shows my priorities and ultimately what I wrote it about, which was the individual trying to reject the inexorable conditions of his life. What preference between political, personal, and philosophical themes do you strike?

So if you had to try and explain, if applicable and because I'm really curious, what are the attitudes your work put forward about the world?

This is just an indirect way to ask everyone what they chose to write about as their story, not plot. But I'll just leave all that extra stuff in.

Heh, interesting question to answer. Not sure if the answer is interesting to read, but I'll give it a go.

Putting your writing where other people can see it feels like walking naked in public until you realize that people read way less into your writing than you do. Then it feels like walking naked in public while invisible, haha.

What I consciously avoid writing about are basically things I don't understand and don't think I could pull off if I tried. And that's a lot, because I grew up sheltered, in a stable and supportive family. I've never experienced anything I count as significant chronic stress. Obviously, my stories have to have some sort of conflict and excitement or else they wouldn't really count as stories, but I generally remove them from the real world. In fantasyland, my characters' reaction to imaginary strife is realistic enough to pass.

I'm not an emotional person, and it comes across in my characters. They've been described as 'versions of the same generic good guy', 'stable and centred', and 'flat', depending on the reader. I've had someone tell me to 'show, not tell' when I'm describing the emotional journeys of my characters, but this isn't particularly possible all the time. I'm not a particularly physical person and a lot of the time, my emotions don't manifest very much on the surface. The way I depict emotions is realistic to my experience of them, but to someone who experiences them in a different way, it feels flat and shallow. Others find it emotionally soothing compared to all the struggle and angst commonly found in other stories.

Despite that, I'm also a huge sucker for romance. People taking care of each other with no expectation of a return or reward is a central theme of pretty much anything I write. It's a feel-good type of theme and my writing has been described as 'fluffy' or 'fuzzy' not a few times.

I'm also ceaselessly analytical about the world. This comes across in multiple ways. My characters are probably a lot more aware of the driving motivations behind their thoughts, feelings, and actions than people generally are. My magic systems are always clearly explained and rigidly rule-bound. I have a fondness for puns.

If I had to state the attitude my writing shows towards the world, it would probably be 'pragmatic'. You take what you have and make the best of it, hopefully leaving it a better place. You expect better of yourself but don't take failures to mean you've failed as a person. You're honest with yourself, and that honesty leads to a type of confidence that is truly self-confidence, completely unshaken by other people's words or opinions. And in the middle of all that deep introspection and noble action, you take time to laugh and have fun.

- "but I want to ask how it is you express your worldviews in writing."

I... rarely do... I express the *character* worldviews, while allowing my own to sit on the sideline. I have never had any important character whom I fully endorsed, nor one that I couldn't sympathize with at least a little.

- "What subjects have you consciously answered and avoided in your writing?"

I like tackling things like the cycle of poverty, revenge and learning that the world you think you is wonderful is a flawed and broken thing. I don't think that's so much a "world view" as "reality isn't a particularly nice place".

There's nothing I've got written up on my 'avoid' other than to do my best not to write about things I know nothing of. My knowledge of fashion is pretty much zero, so I don't write characters who know lots on the subject. Same with musical instruments.

Fortunately, I'm a graduate of the School of Hard Knocks... which means I can write about all the most interesting subjects easily enough.

However, from now on I'll be avoiding ever writing anything with a depressed main character ever again. Apparently I'm the writing equivalent of a Method Actor... and it's just not pleasant to be in that headspace. I try not to think too hard about how I can write Serial Killer fine, yet can't handle melancholy.

- "What parts of yourself do you put into your work?"

I tend to give little traits that remind me of myself or those I know to all my characters. It keeps things interesting. At the same time, I like them more different from me than similar... because I already know what *I'm* like, the fun is in seeing *other* perspectives.

- An indomitable protagonist drudging on against the odds? A misunderstood hero with good intentions? What does your story say about the world? If you had to be analytical, how much of your writing speaks directly about things, and is it a nihilistic attitude, a hopeful one?"

All over the place. The only thing I can't do is stick to one thing. I'll write high fantasy one book, gritty war story the next, and silly anime-esque after that. But if forced to stick to one tone too long, I'll get bored.

- "So if you had to try and explain, if applicable and because I'm really curious, what are the attitudes your work put forward about the world?"

If I were to try to make it quotable?... Hmm...

"Everyone is flawed. Perfection is impossible. The difference between the best of us and the worst, is that the best try to make themselves better, while the worst try to drag the world down to their level."

Definitely interesting to read, at least for me, @Unice/Tana. For anybody else, that's the kind of answer I was really looking for. Very insightful. I'm trying to get a sense for how people tackle their writing as an expression, not just a mechanical plot, you know? There's a lot that we take for granted that makes our works unique and that can make or break it, beyond plot or marketing, imho. Kind of the soul of it. At the very least, it's neat to glimpse what other writers think about their own stuff.

>What subjects have you consciously answered and avoided in your writing?

I've been informed by readers and commenters that I'm pretty good at handling race and income inequality, with the latter surprising me a little bit. I wasn't exactly trying to go for some kind of statement with that, but maybe some caught it with how I have different characters with different backgrounds interacting with each other.

As far as subjects I avoid, if I know enough about something, I'll take a chance at writing it. If I'm avoiding anything, it's because I don't know enough about it yet.

>What parts of yourself do you put into your work?

Good question. I'm tempted to say too much? But that's a tricky answer to provide.

Some of my favorite works of art are ones that the artist put a lot of themselves into. Inio Asano is one, especially with his most recent work, Downfall. Neon Genesis Evangelion is pretty much a textbook example of this approach. In music, it'd be Danny Brown's XXX or Earl Sweatshirt's aptly titled I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside. When done right, it usually gives a more human element to a work that I can connect to more easily. In my appreciation for such works, I ended up doing something similar.

A lot of myself goes into my characters and setting. A few characters might have some of my own personal traits, others might just share an interest I gave them. My fears and insecurities also get handed out like candy. I know I have enough to go around.

But, by that point, they're their own people. They're thoughts and actions are their own, and there should be consequences that are born from that. I give my characters bits of me, and they run with it, on their own volition. If they fall because of it, I make sure they fall hard.

To post a quote of my own, I really like this one found in Tokyo Ghoul :re. Japanese art has a lot more emphasis on using a work to express the feelings of the creator, so it's an interesting insight to an author and their creative process.

"The reason expressions get repeated throughout images, sentences, creative works, is not because their creator is especially skilled at their creation but because he or she suffers from some fundamental complex."

@nippoten: I do believe that most of the art that has ever been created express the feeling of the creator. Impressionism? Expressionim? Postmodernisn? To say that Japanese art has a lot more emphasis on using a work to express the feelings of the creator is reductive, and indicative of some bias.

I definitely shy away from anything that is political, and also anything that is in the news. People go NUTS if you touch certain issues. Better to entertain.

@Rince Yeah there's definitely bias there.

How it is you express your worldviews in writing.

What subjects have you consciously answered and avoided in your writing?

I hate casts of characters that are constantly fighting and being catty and posturing and trying to one-up each other. I prefer stories where characters either get along, or at least can act professionally. I like seeing chemistry between characters, but fights within the team should be reserved for important issues.

I hate it when characters are let off the hook. Characters should be responsible for their actions, and actions should have consequences.

What parts of yourself do you put into your work?

An indomitable protagonist drudging on against the odds?

A misunderstood hero with good intentions?

Not a fan of misunderstandings, either. Tend not to pop up. But I do have some heroes who royally screw things up, and it gets depressing.

What does your story say about the world?

Probably nothing.

If you had to be analytical, how much of your writing speaks directly about things, and is it a nihilistic attitude, a hopeful one?

Ah, again, hard to say. My stuff is largely just escapist fantasy. Life is what it is. People need to just seize their own destiny, if they can, I guess.

What preference between political, personal, and philosophical themes do you strike?

So if you had to try and explain, if applicable and because I'm really curious, what are the attitudes your work put forward about the world?

Everything in my serial ultimately comes down to identity, from the focus on personal creativity and (mis)perceptions of others, to the objectification (and manifestation) of ideals, both spiritual and physical, and the consequences of reincarnation. You could probably summarise the overarching conflict as one between "Be who you want to be" and "Know your place": should an individual be able to choose (and change) their identity as and when they see fit, or should they accept the one society hands them? And, though I very much side with the former of those, I'm not painting either as the 'right' or 'wrong' choice.

There are numerous secondary themes (depression, nihilism, martyrdom, cult mentality, harsh reality verses comfortable illusion, etcetera) but they generally weave in and around those ideas of identity.

If I have to cover something I don't understand, I research. And, by sheer inevitability, I touch on real life and political issues, but if that's the way the story goes then who am I to stop it?

How do I express my worldview in my fiction?

How does that translate into my serial?

Optimism

Organic Use of Background

I also enjoy putting both actual history and the history of the various periods of superhero comics in my work because I feel like stories should have a historical context. Also, the main character of the Legion of Nothing shares my optimism, but his interest in understanding how things work is much more focused on technology than mine is.

Attitude Toward Fighting

I suspect the aspects of my worldview that appear unintentionally might be more interesting than the ones that appear intentionally.

How do I express my worldview in my fiction?

I don't but I do in a small way. However, that's not my purpose because I don't write soapboxes neither do I like reading them. My ultimate goal is to write what I want to read and to be entertaining. I don't want to read someone hammering their political and social view over my head. That's what Twitter is for.

I don't really avoid topics. There are topics I doubt I could write about well, but they're also topics I don't want to write about. I don't avoid 'politics' because I don't think you can. When I started writing my story in 2016 I decided that the bad guys were Nazis, because surely no one is less controversially the 'bad guys' than Nazis, right? Then 2017 hit and... well, you know what happened next. By the same token, there are things in my story that I don't think are political that other people do. There's a very ethnically diverse cast in the hardware centre where my story is set, but that's just because there's an ethnically diverse workforce at my local hardware centre. I've had people tell me I'm being PC, but I just see it as realism.

Looking not just at my serial but at my handful of published short stories, the constants are that responsibility is a big issue. I like morally imperfect heroes, and I like redemption stories, but I don't think the good guys should be free of responsibility for their actions just because they're the good guys. Yes, even good people make bad decisions; no, that's not a get-out-of-jail-free card.

The other thing that keeps coming up is that I'm extremely suspicious of savior characters -- the 'man on the white horse' sort of hero. In my stories, either the good guys get together to deal with the problem, or the problem remains unsolved. And I'm not a Utopian -- solving a problem/defeating the bad guys just means that there's one less problem or one fewer groups of bad guys in the world. It's a plus, but it's not the end.

Which is a pretty austere worldview, I guess, for someone who predominantly writes comedy.

Interesting topic Shaeor!

The only thing I have been avoiding in Existential Terror and Breakfast is virtue ethics (ancient or modern), because if my main character discovers eudaimonia or fulfilling oneself through "active engagement in projects of worth" I would have nothing to write about. My whole story falls apart if my character finds a hobby that he is truly passionate about.

As far as expressing myself through my writing I can't help but to look at the darkest parts of life and joke about them. Humor, even if it is incredibly dry, is a survival instinct of mine. The absurd, no matter how cruel or impersonal, is the punchline.

The goals of my main character are not my own, and I suppose that was on purpose. He yearns for a place in society as I have a deep knee jerk reaction to stand outside of it. I am not a normal person, and I live an eccentric lifestyle, so it is important to me to write about someone who is normal. Alice in Wonderland is interesting because there is nothing inherently interesting about Alice herself, so I suppose I am drawn to that. I also wanted to push myself and try to make something that is inherently boring (random musings during breakfast) interesting. Writing about the "hero on the world's edge" is great, but it is also easy. No idea if I have been successful in this experiment.

@ALL

I don't have time to list any specifics, but it has been incredibly interesting to read all of your thoughts. I love this kind of thing!

My stories tend to involve a focus on alternate morality, because that's a thing I've always been interested in. Are people bad because they do bad things, or do they do bad things because they're bad? Or can you be a good person who does bad things?

So I wrote a western where the main character is solely after his own revenge but, in the process, accomplishes good things as a byproduct. And I write a serial where the main characters are all thieves, but they're the "good" type of thieves, if such a thing is possible. Obviously, I'm not personally represented in either of those protagonists (except that they both have a tendency towards sarcasm), and I wouldn't necessarily say that the stores are indicative of any cohesive worldview. They do spring from my own questions and opinions about the world, though, so I suppose there's a little bit of my own life in my characters.

(And family issues, but I don't really dive terribly deep into those. It just tends to be a common thread.)

@Revfitz, I do too. Thanks.

@All Really good responses. Love it.

Since I'm posting something anyway, I'll go ahead and answer my own questions.

How it is you express your worldviews in writing.

Pretty explicitly, I suppose. I think about this kind of thing a lot, which is why I had the idea for the thread. I'm very aware of how people's dispositions towards the world come through in their writing. So I consciously treat writing as exploratory, or expository, to a degree.

For that reason, the main problem I strove to answer in Dirge WAS about people's basic dispositions towards life, in the form of Camus' three answers to absurdity, and their unspoken implications. As far as things I avoided, I was more sly about the subjects I didn't want to tackle, like social organization and pragmatic stuff, like what is 'normal' or acceptable, because on principle I consider that kind of thing to have its proper place AFTER the more... meta-ethical.

A lot of my personality goes into the protagonist, very consciously. It's why I write 1st person, arguably why I write at all. That is, to imbue my problems into a little pseudo-reality and work through them. I would vouch for it.

But for some specifics, my protagonists are probably just a little obsessed with their agency in the story. Doran was very manipulative, in a benevolent way, and never showed his full intentions. He was like an onion or something.

Furthering that thought, this is definitely a thing I do. My first novella had a protagonist that I just drug through the dirt, but still half-dead found a way to control the scenario and win. Dirge did something similar. There were two timelines during that first story, one in the present and one in the past. The story was a lot about his self-hatred, in that he had done some things to survive that he considered cowardly, but were still clever to a degree. I would say trudging and fighting on is one of my favorite things to write, because it's how you figure things out. Carrying on.

Yeah, probably. Doran's intentions were compassionate, but ultimately pretty bitter/tragic even to himself.

I think the constant thing I write about is identity like someone else said. But it's not about being who you want, or who people think you should be. It's more about a mythical true-self, and the various themes surrounding that. Discontentment, entrapment, disillusion, faith, and morality.

If you had to be analytical, how much of your writing speaks directly about things, and is it a nihilistic attitude, a hopeful one?

It's overloaded with symbolism. Even if you went by the character interactions, those ultimately come back to saying things about right and wrong ways to cope. I really approach writing as being intrinsically a moral expose'. Right? When our characters do something, there's action and reaction. And depending on the motives, the choices, and outcomes, inexorably what we show is what we think about the behaviors which are or should be punished by the world. And action and belief are infinitely linked. ! As far as my attitude goes, it's actually really hard to say. I think the ending note is typically hopeful, but there's a lot of uncertainty along the way. That's my dumb question though, everyone is going to be a spectrum in some part.

Referencing the question from before, my blend of tragedy and hope in tone is consistently something akin to just fighting on. But I think most stories are about finding, winning, making, or saving something good, or the 'hope'.

What preference between political, personal, and philosophical themes do you strike?

I definitely tie the personal into the philosophical, per the reasons already stated. Politics same.

That... there's no escaping the conditions of living, and all the implications and the moral reaction to that. What is and isn't 'The Way'. Again, that's what I think writing inherently does, consciously or non. I wonder how much others think about that, whether they agree or disagree?

That's all that comes to mind, but I might add more. I encourage others to bounce off each other's answers too and dissect the questions.

EDIT: lots of edits. Post first and polish later is a bad llama. Okay.

Much pardons, I understand this is a little bit necro'd. I just got back from a heavy 20-and-back mission laying some phat rings around Uranus. Shaeor, I saw this subject and just had to inject some meaty ideas at the end here.

How is it you express your worldviews in writing.

It entirely depends upon the project and whether the audience I would try to appeal to with it would appreciate me forcing my own viewpoints upon them.

With the waffling out the way, here is the real answer...

I write what I think and feel in the moment through my writing. I often dump a lot of my personal turmoils, emotional instabilities, and sense of current world injustices into my writing. I go nuts in the development phase dumping all of my personal shit into a given project I'm working on. Then, when I go back through it to refine it and actually commit the thing to a page, I tone that stuff right down. The ideas are mine, but the writing is for others.

When it comes to my current project of the Vorrgistadt Saga, I'm dumping a lot of what I see as wrong with the world and society into the project. A world that is in its death-throes not because it's a broken world, but because everyone who lives there are a bunch of cowards who only care about themselves and can't stand up for the future. It's a world dominated by hidden 'elite' forces that are shutting the world down in the background, reaping everything for their own gain, and forcing those that live there to scrabble over the scraps remaining. It's a world that could ascend to the next state of human evolution, but instead descend to barbarism and violence because everyone just wants to make other people pay for the past rather than uniting and building for the future.

Subjects that I've 'answered' by injecting them somewhere into the plan for the project are:

- Environmentalism. Whether you agree with it or not, it's there. I've had eco-green people I've run ideas and future plots by support where I'm going. I've also talked to some anti-green and eco-skeptic people who support it as well. It's my job to explore the subject, it's up to others to integrate it in their own worldview as they wish.

- Gender identity, preference, and roles. I come to the project from a historically aware, yet idealisitically humanist viewpoint. I also try to shove a bit of my own views of individualism into the whole thing. However, given the tribalistic and post-apoc nature of the setting, there is a lot of dynamic push with these ideas. There's nothing wrong with being homosexual in most the societies of my story. Quite a few characters will later be revealed to be bisexual, asexual, homosexual, or gender queer. I'm not forcing anything with those characters, they are just who they are. But I also have to be conscious of the world ending elements of the story and the more traditional characters/groups in the story as well. In a world without modern sensibilities or liberties, where the human race is dying off, where extreme violence is a daily occurance, who will create the next generations and how will those who aren't cis/normative be able to help out?

As a very strained example: What happens when a particular type of important magic tied to a specific bloodline is running out? You're the last person to have that bloodline and you're gay? Would you be willing to force yourself into a normative relationship for a time just to keep that bloodline going? Would you be able to find someone willing to join with you for that? How would parental rights be affected by such a thing? Would you stick to your personal truth and let that bloodline fade out? Would you be willing to perform the heinous acts of lichdom to keep alive to keep that bloodline going on inside of you through stolen immortality? That's some of the heavier stuff that -might- be explored a bit later with care to the subject matter. This is a quandry that was proposed to me by several homosexual/gender-queer friends of mine when it came to a D&D game we set in a post-apoc world, so I thought I would try to explore some of those concepts in this project later on.

- Religion and ethnicity. They're hot-button issues, but it will get brought up in the story very soon. I do my best to keep the religions and ethnicities 'scrambled' up in this project. I draw a bit from real world stuff for vague inspiration, but I intentionally remove it by several large degrees. There is not typically 'european' or 'arabic' kind of groups in my project. I scramble up the inspirations from history and try to explore new ways they could come about. As some readers have pointed out thus far, I have; "Aztec warriors who live in the arctic tundra and practice Buddhism." "Desert Vikings who are anarcho-socialists who practice the old Mongolian religion." Or even, "Babylonian/Egyptian/Greek hybrids who are nihilistic Luciferians." It's a simplistic explaination, but that's how some flippant people have described things thus far.

One idea that I know I'm going to get flack on later on, but which a lot of beta-readers have enjoyed is a culture that will be exploring the idea of atheism as an organized religion. Yes, at first glance even that idea makes me cringe, knowing a lot of atheists, as I do. It's a lot more complex than that and I'm talking with a lot of atheists I know in active communities to hammer it all out. A concept that at its center is the avoidance from and destruction of all religious ideals, yet as an institutional entity operates the same as an organized religion. Even with witch-hunts to 'burn the heretics' who dare have faith in anything.

- Conspiracy theories. I draw from alternative ideas when it comes to sci-fi and fantasy stuff. I'm a person that was raised on The X-files, Star Trek, Star Wars, The Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, and numerous alien conspiracy/paranormal things. It always creeps into my writing in one way or another. The possibilty of there being more than mundane, chaotic, and cynical reality is really appealing to me.

I don't agree or disagree with any conspiracies, but I like including weird ideas to see how they might work. Some of the things I've included for the weirdness in the Vorrgistadt project are: - Flat Earth Theory - Reptilians/The Annunaki - Nibiru - Gnosticism - Luciferian/Satanist Cults - MKUltra Projects - Stargates - Aliens/Greys - Continuance of Government Conspiracies - Break-away Civilizations - Secret Space Programs - Simulated Reality - Atlantean Myths - And Pure Lovecraftia.

In short, I try to appeal to and piss off everyone equally.

What subjects have I intentionally avoided in the writing thus far?

- Rape, sexual abuse, and domestic abuse. Being a survivor of such, being in a relationship with another survivor of such, and knowing a few close people who are also survivors of such, I'm very hesitant to explore that subject. That doesn't mean I won't touch it, but that I'm very cautious and empathetic to the ideas of it. I dislike it when other authors ham-fist the ideas, or drop the ideas in there to 'hardcore' a character. I can handle it in other stories and don't get 'triggered' by it at all. If it's done poorly, I just lose all respect for the author/creator that did it.

- Current, contemporary, and real ideological or political situations. I'm honestly trying to get as far away from real-life in my writing as I can. That's why it's a fantasy story, after all. I'm not going to be dropping in any antifa/BLM/alt-right/4-chan shit anywhere in my project. There's enough of this shit saturating everything lately. I want to get as far away from it as possible.

I try to put all of myself into my work. That doesn't mean I hammer my viewpoints into my writing at all. I know the difference between my own mind and the work I put out for others. I know what it's like to be misinterpreted by others and I work hard to keep things open for other people to come up with their own views of the work.

I dump my personal interests the most into my writing. I draw heavily from my inspirations (Lovecraftian horror, D&D, Star Wars, Star Trek, and other writers).

A few people close to me have stated that I'm dumping a lot of myself into one of the protagonists of the story, Ghelta. What is more accurate is that all the main characters I write about are reflections of myself and other people I've known over my relatively short life, all jumbled together.

- Ghelta is a personification of my ambition when it comes to being a writer. She is how I feel writing this very project. An outsider who seems to contintually be held back. A person whose patience at other people being self-absorbed/cowardly/manipulative makes her act out irrationally. She wants to prove herself and her worth, yet it seems everyone around her discards her as garbage. Eventually, she learns not to trust anyone and to grow up rather quickly. She has to learn morality very harshly in the dichotomy between what she knows inside herself (a sense of honor and idealized stoicism (which she seldom acts on)) against how she sees the world (manipulative cowards who cannibalize each other for petty/fleeting senses of worth).

- Leiros is the personification of my rational side when it comes to everything that isn't being a writer. He's detached, removed, extremely calm, and painfully polite to others. He eventually trips up on his own rationality and learns he has to become more emotional in order to feel invested in what life throws at him. His rationality falters when he doesn't get what he was promised (a destiny) and instead has to scrape a life for himself from ashes and the refuse of others. He eventually comes to learn that all of reality is severely flawed in that all those who have what they have never deserved it and need to be cast down, while all those that suffer and are forgotten are the true paragons of humanity. He has to temper his will between the judgment of those he sees as unfit, and the compassion to help those that need help.

None of my characters are indomitable. They all falter and falter -hard-. Yes, the odds are all stacked against them, even the antagonists. There are no heroes or villians in this project. Percieved heroes soon become villians. Villians turn heroes. Some waffle as anti-heroes and are soon killed off.

The ultimate point is, whoever you are and whether or not you see yourself as good... The entire world is stacked against you no matter how you might want to change it. No matter how 'big a fish' you become, there are always bigger horrors waiting to devour you. The more you force your will upon the world, the harder the world fights back to destroy what you've accomplished. Even if you try to save a group of people from jumping off a bridge, they will jump off the bridge all the more, simply because you bothered to show them a different way other than self-destruction and now they want to prove you wrong.

Everyone is misunderstood, and not everyone has good intentions.

That people are flawed. That anyone can become the thing they hate simply by focusing all of their hate on others. The only difference between a moral person and a serial killer is a single bad choice (their own or someone else's). The world sucks. No one is a good person. Hell is paved with good intentions.

Despite all of it, it's not a nihilistic pity-party though. Good people need to stand up for good. Evil people need to stop waffling and pretending to be good people and start worshiping evil 24/7. Nothing should be done in half-measures. There is always going to be good and bad in the world, but the point is to make the world a dynamic place where people can live the life they want to live and not be shoved into mediocrity and true nihilism.

Stand up for what you believe in, whether that's a scientific utopian future for all, or a blistering hell of rot and madness. Commit to it completely and be willing to die for what you believe in, while not force others to die for what you believe in.

If you had to be analytical, how much of your writing speaks directly about things, and is it nihilistic in attitude, or a hopeful one?

I rely upon symbolism and (sometimes rather obtuse) metaphor a lot. I know I'm going to be accused of nihilism with this particular project, but that is not my intention at all. Those parts of the story I willingly let be nihilistic are there as cautionary/moral tales to make people think about how they act in reality.

There really isn't much hope to the story at all. There is temporary hope, but nothing lasting. There is no 'saving the day and building a legacy.' I'm exploring my concepts of mortality and seeing the disposablity of creative endeavors in the world right now due to the Marvel-saturated Creative Apocalypse. No matter what someone creates, it always gets tainted or erased. We are all building sand castles upon the shore right before the tide comes in. All we can do is appreciate the temporary hopes we have and the fragile beauty we can create in the moment. Then it falls to us all to keep the world safe long enough that other generations can have their own hopes and dreams, no matter how long that lasts.

Also, it's worth stating. My world ends. Violently. It's inescapable. No one wins. *shrug* But it does kick off another project for later on. ^_^

I'm a personal and philosophical creature. Diogenes for life! Politics can go suck Richard Nixon's rotted ass.

Watch the world, take in everything you can. Come to your own conclusions about what is happening. Think up some way to help other people and then give your life to that cause. Even if it's futile, even if you'll be killed. The world is dying in mediocrity and bullshit right now. We as creative people can create wonderful worlds filled with vibrant people. It's a possibility. We as people in this world need to bring that dynamism to real-life.

Otherwise, we'll all die... And the only thing worse than if the world ends tomorrow, is that we continue going on in emptiness, all wanting it to end, but it never happening.

What I avoid?

Mature stuff, (Curse words are allowed, though), cuz some of my friends and family are reading my webserial. Then..., anything I feel would be insulting to any sort of person, because it would be a hassle to deal with that. What parts of myself do I put in my work? Little to none, because the idea of sharing a bit of myself to the world is something I, for some reason, would avoid at all costs. What does my idea say about the world? Well, I'm not aiming for it to 'say' anything. I want to just be entertaining.My protagonist?He/Her would be nothing like myself, as I like to challenge myself with other perspectives. Overpowered? Nah, might feel cool, but there's another part taken away from the story when you go down that path. The attitude? I'm not really trying to put any attitude about the world. This is just meant to entertain. I'm gonna put pieces of myself in the story when I'm confident and experienced enough.