Thanks, Unillustrated!

I have limited time to access the Internet, and since my two year old dropped our laptop I have to use my phone.

So it was a nice surprise to find a review of "The Surprising Life and Death of Diggory Franklin" on one of my sporadic WFG visits.

Thanks, Unillustrated, that made me smile. Being on an extended hiatus sucks, but stay tuned for an announcement for the new year. ;)

It was my pleasure. I like time travel in theory but I almost never see a story that uses it well. Yours stuck out and it was a great read.

Yeah, I find most stories either lose continuity and create paradoxes, or they introduce multiple dimensions to hand-wave discrepancies, but that opens up more complications.

I grew up reading a lot of Robert Heinlein and his Doorway into Summer had consistent time travel where everything made sense in the end. His later stories were more adventurous and funny and thought-provoking, but the time travel stopped being consistent. I have tried to maintain entertainment and continuity, and read back through old chapters as I write to make sure I keep track of all the loose threads.

The rule is that eventually it all has to make sense.

I love Heinlein. I've seen that exact same progression with other authors. Frankowsky comes to mind. He did this great story where time travel (oops, a modern engineer gets sent back to the middle ages) is just the set up. It was a lot of fun but eventually he ended up with time travel fixing every problem that popped up and causality going out the window. At least he acknowledged it by having the travelers get completely freaked out by how things were working.

For consistency and fun, Haldeman is still one of my favorites. I think I mentioned Time Travelers Never Die in the review, probably one of my favorite non-British TV show time travel stories. Of course, the famous Doctor doesn't even try to make sense most of the time.