First, because I created the epub and mobi versions first (using a really killer epub creation tool called Jutoh) I wasn't working from a Microsoft Word document as my source material. I had to essentially export from Jutoh to an opendocument file and work from that, and I had to massively reformat that in order to get it through the grinder. That took weeks to do and the end result is something that, in my opinion, doesn't look nearly as good as the version I created.
That pissed me off a lot. But that's not what REALLY pissed me off.
What REALLY pissed me off is that when I assigned my ISBN to the book (to make it available to itunes, kobo, etc) I typed in the wrong ISBN number... and there was no way for me to fix it. No way at ALL. The ONLY way to fix it is to email them with their little contact form and them to do it, because there is no way to contact them by phone, or chat app, or ANYTHING. This is a contact form that promises you'll get a response within 72 hours, but I sent them no less than THREE emails over a three week period, and by the end of the third week I finally got a response from the FIRST EMAIL saying "sorry, it's too late, we already submitted your book with the first ISBN so it's set in stone now."
So to summarize: my smashwords epub is currently displaying an ISBN that is different from the one it was registered under. And I "used up" one of my precious 10 ISBNs for no reason, because Smashwords isn't using it... because they couldn't be bothered to get back to me for three goddamn weeks, and emailing them was the ONLY AVENUE I HAD TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM.
I am really pissed off at Smashwords. Now that iTunes is going to be open to authors directly I plan, going forward, to use Smashwords *only* to sell ebooks on their site and never use them for increased distribution ever again.