The Monkey, It Is Off My Back

Finally! December was a logistically tricky month. I had to:

- put a beloved dog to sleep

- buy a new car after my wife got into an accident and totaled my old one

- get freaking Smashwords to respond to my hand signals in order to make an ebook of Pay Me, Bug! available on iTunes (this was a disaster by the way)

- Do Christmas Things

- go to my Day Job

These five things made it nearly impossible to write -- even when I had the time, I didn't have the focus. And so The Points Between languished in semi-neglect, quietly gathering dust, occasionally clearing its throat and shooting accusing glances in my direction. But this week changed all that as I was finally able to post Chapter 12 today.

It's a short chapter. Only 1900 words! ;-)

Thank God that monkey is finally off my back. Now I can --

... what's that? Every week?

... stupid monkey.

Oh dear. What was the issue with Smashwords? I don't tend to have a problem with them (though some of the Kobo versions of my books look funny, but I have a feeling that's more Kobo's CSS than Smashwords causing the issue).

Two things.

First, because I created the epub and mobi versions first (using a really killer epub creation tool called Jutoh) I wasn't working from a Microsoft Word document as my source material. I had to essentially export from Jutoh to an opendocument file and work from that, and I had to massively reformat that in order to get it through the grinder. That took weeks to do and the end result is something that, in my opinion, doesn't look nearly as good as the version I created.

That pissed me off a lot. But that's not what REALLY pissed me off.

What REALLY pissed me off is that when I assigned my ISBN to the book (to make it available to itunes, kobo, etc) I typed in the wrong ISBN number... and there was no way for me to fix it. No way at ALL. The ONLY way to fix it is to email them with their little contact form and them to do it, because there is no way to contact them by phone, or chat app, or ANYTHING. This is a contact form that promises you'll get a response within 72 hours, but I sent them no less than THREE emails over a three week period, and by the end of the third week I finally got a response from the FIRST EMAIL saying "sorry, it's too late, we already submitted your book with the first ISBN so it's set in stone now."

So to summarize: my smashwords epub is currently displaying an ISBN that is different from the one it was registered under. And I "used up" one of my precious 10 ISBNs for no reason, because Smashwords isn't using it... because they couldn't be bothered to get back to me for three goddamn weeks, and emailing them was the ONLY AVENUE I HAD TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM.

I am really pissed off at Smashwords. Now that iTunes is going to be open to authors directly I plan, going forward, to use Smashwords *only* to sell ebooks on their site and never use them for increased distribution ever again.

Well, if you ever have issues with them again, go find the founder on the MobileReads forums. I see him floating around all the time there.

What is MobileReads?

me <--- clueless. Obviously.

It's an e-reader forum.