Titles

I want to write a serial about paranormal/demonic stuff in a post-nuclear world. It would center on some teenagers that, before a nuclear war, made a deal with Satan to become vampires (any more information would give away a huge plot twist). I have a ton of ideas, and I could keep it going for a long time. My only issue is that I can't think of a good title. Any suggestions?

The Radiant Undead? 'Cause, y'know, radiation, nuclear, vampires.

Of course, that might imply that they glow in the dark, which might not be what you're going for.

What can I say, it's early here and I haven't had my coffee yet. ;) Sounds like an interesting idea. Good luck with it!

Apocalypse Forever

The Magic Mushroom Cloud

Mad Mephistopheles

Blood from a Stone

(picturing vampires stalking the few humans left across a barren landscape)

Half Lives

The Great Souls Close-out Sale

None of these may be suitable, but this is what I would do:

think of some cool quotes and phrases, and twist them around to suit your story.

Trans-Humanic Isotopes.

Bloody Fallout. Nuclear winter of blood. The Demons of the Final Days. The Geiger Count. Put the classic Count Dracula star medal as the O in count for a logo.

I vote for The Geiger Count!

My old Lit teacher would say that the theme of the book is always in the title.

"Of Mice and Men" - From the phrase "the best laid plans of mice and men are oft to go astray" - Life has a way of messing with your best plans.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" - "There's no greater sin than to kill a mockingbird". - protect the ones who need protecting

"Moby Dick" - Named for the great whale, the whale represents our drive to pursue the impossible to obtain.

Etc.

So... while you've summarized the basic plots, ask yourself: What's the Theme? What is the message? What ~kind~ of story are you telling?

Now.. I did a horrible job of this for Bastion: The Last Hope. The only thing I can say I did right in that title is convey that the Bastion will be the last hope for humanity and that the story is to be focused on finding those hopes and clinging to them.

For "Mind the Thorns" (a play on 'mind the gap') I went after the idea of while a rose may offer a sweet smell there is always a hidden danger. My goal for Regan in that story is to always put Regan in places where she has to be careful about the things she doesn't see off the bat.

So... what's the Theme of our post apocalyptic vampire story?

IDK... Friendship conquers all? People die, live with it? "Mama, we all go to Hell"(From Mama, by My Chemical Romance)? What doesn't kill makes you stronger? Or, my favorite, murder is okay under certain circumstances? Take your pick, they all play a role in the overall plot.

Also, an exception to the rule: 1984.

'To Hell And Back' 'After-End' 'From the Ashes'

I honestly don't know why I'm making suggestions. I'm terrible at naming. But it's fun ;-)

IF it's teens falling in love or something like Twilight after the war, "Love in the Deadzone"

If it's vaguely artsy like "Old Man in the Sea" : The Devil and the Bomb

If Episodic and humorous: How I survived the apocalypse and other tales.

If it's adventure /suspense/horror (because vampires kind of are considered demonic): The Devil's Children, The Undead Chronicles, The Undead Conspiracy, etc. etc.

MrOsterman I really like your old lit teacher's ideas of having the book's theme in the title! I need to work on that as well because I'm not 100% happy with the title for my book, Rema. Like, it says nothing. :P

Having that said, I think your idea spawns a lot of provocative words. I'll just write some down in the hopes that one of them might spark an idea of your own. It's hard to title something without knowing the WHOLE story!

-Winter (as in nuclear winter)

-Blood

-Sin

-Abandoned

-Biohazard

-Thirst

-Night

-Lucifer

-Fang

I struggle with titles precisely because I think they should reflect the theme of the story -- it should be a snapshot of the whole, even if only symbolically. Sometimes the title is the first thing I think of, it comes out of the blue -- that happened with "The Surprising Life and Death of Diggory Franklin" -- the phrase popped into my head one day. But I struggled probably for years before I came up with the title to "No Man an Island" and that's a summation of what the story is about, even though I borrowed it from a John Donne poem.

So I'm going to make this as a suggestion, from the perspective that I've had a hard time with titles myself -- If you don't know your theme, you don't need a title until you've done more writing and know your characters and story better. And that means it doesn't need to be posted until you're more intimate with your story. Take the time to get to know it and understand it and care about it before you rush into anything.

I'll ask someone's opinion of a title option, but I've never asked anyone else to name my stories for me. That would be like asking someone else to name my baby. If you don't know your baby well enough to name it, you need some quality time.

Just came up with the best title ever: Perdition.

Jim Allen must have thought so too, since his play is named "Perdition". And then there's the Max Collins comic " Road to Perdition" and the Tom Hanks movie.

Well, given the fact that my thing isn't about an Israeli libel suit or a father who wants to get revenge on his son, I'm gonna say that those other things will only serve to give it a (very slight) chance of random people discovering it.

Wow, so many good titles... I love half lives.

I had no idea where I was going to take the story with mine and I knew that if I thought about it too much I might not commit to it because I wasn't sure on the title so I just made up something a bit generic and started running with it... Hopefully it will grow on me.

My serial is named after the lead characters. It's a detective serial, so I figure it's kinda traditional (or at least, it seems to be on British television). This also saved me having to agonise over it too hard, which was nice.

I think I mostly go for tone when creating titles--as well as attempting to indicate something about the content of the story.

The title of "The Legion of Nothing" came about largely because I wanted to have something that had the sound of comic books--specifically the sound of older comic books. Reminded of "The Legion of Superheroes," a comic that also followed the lives of a group of teenage superheroes, I deliberately lifted the words "The Legion of"--not that they're the only ones to use it. I then added on the word "Nothing" because I wanted something that sounded less heroic, and also because teenagers sometimes do answer "nothing" when they don't want to explain what they've been doing.

It's also a way to contrast the current group with their grandparents who were superheroes fighting against Nazi Germany. The current group got together for more ambiguous reasons including duty, curiosity, a need to be part of their grandparents' legacy, a need to reinvent that legacy, an interest in fame... Basically though, something not nearly as clear cut.

I don't know if there's a right way to choose titles, but that's mine.

The Points Between was originally called No Working Title because I didn't know what the hell to call it. Then I thought "maybe I'll call it 'The Worlds Between'" because I thought that sounded really cool, but apparently it's the name of a Jack Vance short story compilation (so yeah, I was right, it did sound really cool). Finally I settled on The Points Between for reasons.

Curveball is named after the protagonist, in the grand tradition of superhero comic books.

Worm was a placeholder title, up until the point that I started to write & didn't have any better ideas. It grew on me, it applied on multiple levels, and I've come to like it.