To the Single Australian Reading my Web Serial...

...thank you.

Steel and Smoke (my blog) has been a rollercoaster to make. It's the first time I've ever done something like this, and after abandoning so many projects before, I was afraid I'd end up doing it again. But according to my stats, there this ONE guy, somewhere in Australia, that keeps up and reads everything I post. They might not comment or interact, but they read it, and that's enough for me to keep going. I made myself a promise when I would keep at this if even only a SINGLE person kept with it, and someone has. I finally revamped some of the site and am going back into regular updates, even if it's less frequent than I'd like.

I'm saying all of this to really say that it's so cool to have a community for Web Fiction like this. It's great coming by and reading everything people have to offer and how supportive it all is.

I hate advertising, and my readership stats show for it. But thank you to the Australian who keeps me going, and thank you to everyone here at WebFictionGuide for having such a nice community that I read constantly and should participate in more often. Thanks as well to Lee Carlon for reviewing my story and sending a bunch of people my way.

-TT

To that one Serbian who reads my sight, you are my hero!

It's really cool when you notice that one person that keeps up with you and yep, it is the reason all of us write!

It's nice when you have at least one person that's reading consistently. I have one that comments on every chapter. I really like the aspect of interacting with my audience which was why I chose to do a web serial for my first major writing project. I have other commenters, but they don't post on every chapter like this one does. Have to appreciate the small things when it comes to stuff like this.

Yes!! Most of my readers are people from my hometown but I have two dedicated readers in Oregon who always send me their reactions to every update. I have a reader in Taiwan, too! It's crazy how people from all over the world will stumble on your work and find something to love about it.

While regular reactions and comments are nice things, for me (possibly others?), that would be a major anomaly. So definitely something to appreciate. With that said, I have a friend in town who reposts every chapter from my FB page, and one guy I know in the US who occasionally (monthly?) fires off a tweet... so yeah, it's those small things which help keep one going. Well, that, plus the habit.

Incidentally, TakenTongue, interesting narrative plan what with the different character point of views! (I took a quick look at your site and FAQ.) Great that you're sticking with it.

Hang in there, friends.

However, don't confuse a hatred of advertising with a hatred of spam. They are not the same. Advertising--especially paid advertising that you put a lot of thought and effort into--is an investment in your serial's future. Spam, on the other hand, is just lazy and annoying.

I've actually done paid advertising with Project Wonderful. It was a just try it out kind of thing and it worked pretty well. I'm waiting until the serial is a bit longer to try it out again. It's a nice low cost way to gain some readers. And spam sucks. Though, the only way to get views on Twitter is to spam the crap out of it. I haven't done it, but I've seen enough of it, though not on the web serial end.

I've glanced at Project Wonderful before, but I couldn't really tell if it was worth trying out. Maybe I'll have to look into it again!

It can be worth it, but I can see where it might not be. It really all depends on where you pick to put your advert. The sites with more traffic are more expensive, the sites lower in traffic are cheaper. What I did was to pick a web serial, Tales of the MU, that had decent traffic. I got a decent amount of views for pretty cheap. My goal was to only spend $10, and I spent under $2.00. That was for a month. Some of the money is supposed to go to the website as well. Project Wonderful doesn't pay by click, they pay to have the ad there. So, I felt like I was supporting a fellow web serialist while advertising my own.