Web-fiction podcast ideas

If someone (such as myself) were to start a podcast about webfiction, what sort of things would you like to hear? Would you even want to listen to such a thing at all?

I welcome any and all suggestions!

Hmm, there's no edit feature. In that case: This is my first post in the forums, so my apologies if I put this in the wrong place. I'm still a little confused about the categories.

Interviews with site creators, say about both design and writing. Also a section on promoting your web fiction would be good. Hmm maybe a piece on converting your readers to book buyers...Just some thoughts, I have plenty.

That would be interesting, though it'd still have to be up-there quality wise (don't skimp on the quality because the content is unique). I'd probably listen to it if it was good. I'm willing to help if you'd like ideas or need sound fx or maybe some music.

I'd like to hear ideas on motivation, planning, pacing -- the nuts and bolts of it all. Please, please, please don't let it become "pimp yourself" hour. I so would not listen if it was like that. Develop a "voice" for the podcast, an angle, and stick to it. Make people want to be on it!

Not that I'd mind ads. I think that might be cool, especially if you threw in a few fake ones just for fun.

I need more podcasts to listen to, so I'm all for it. ^_^

Interviews with writers of course, discussions on the different styles (diary/blog-fic vs. regular fiction), talk of writing specifically for the web and how it alters some stories/styles. Comparisons of platforms (wordpress vs. drupal vs. custom-made site).

For the promotional side of things, I would suggest doing as most other podcasts do, and have say, 2-3 bumpers per show (generally it's one in the break before the interview, then another at the end, this means the listener isn't overloaded with ads, but gets an idea of new things to listen to).

I don't have time for podcasts, myself. Waste of time. I would offer them to my readers if I thought they were dunces.

I don't have time for podcasts, myself. Waste of time. I would offer them to my readers if I thought they were dunces.

Not having time is fine - a lot of people listen to them whilst on commutes, or in breaks between writing, each to their own.

I'm not sure though, how listening to podcasts makes one a dunce...

So how is this all coming along?

Very slowly. My personal computer has imploded and thus put any plans I had for most everything computer-related on indefinite hold. (I'd still like input, if anyone has anything more to say.)

I think most of the thoughts I originally had on this topic have been touched on here. Writing topics, writing for web fiction topics, author interviews... I'd encourage interviews with people who run WebFictionGuide, ErgoFiction, Epiguide, Muse's Success, etc., as well. Sites like these help us become a community of writers instead of disparate islands of story, so they're an interesting web fiction topic, too.

You might want to do a short, regular segment on web fiction news: 1889ca might do a new live-writing challenge, Shirley & Karen might co-write a project live, conventions that will have a weblit presence, weblit meet-ups, new story launches, etc.

Some of the suggestions here and above are already done by ErgoFiction & Epiguide, so some coordination with those two sites might be in order.

I don't think we need yet another place to do reviews, although directing listeners to review sites like WFG & MS might be nice to do sometimes.

What kind of schedule and format do you envision? The example I have in my head is where you do a weekly show with certain short segments every week (or alternate weeks, or just the first week of the month) and then some sort of big chunk of content to take up the rest. Something a bit like a morning radio show, or the Late Night show. I have no idea if that's what you're thinking, though!

"Something a bit like a morning radio show, or the Late Night show. I have no idea if that's what you're thinking, though!"

That format is perfect and exactly what I wanted to do without actually realizing it's what I wanted to do. News segment, special content, interview(s). I need to ponder more on what the special content could be... I could slip a little advert bumper between each of the segments. That'd be two per show, which seems eminently reasonable.

My goal is either 30 minutes or an hour, depending on how much time the stuff takes, on a weekly schedule.

As I've said on twitter, Ergofiction would love to be the home base for this. Especially because fragmenting the sphere too much might be contra productive. Plus you'd have a starting (albeit small) audience.

I have been toying with uStream lately, and I'm pondering if it would be a good idea to use that as a publishing system. I believe it is possible to broadcast sound only with it, and it's quite easy to import prepared video's / sound files.

This way it could be a live show, with a recorded part for late comers. The life aspect of it could make audience interaction possible, which can be quite fun as I noticed with Anna's interview on page readers last wednesday.

As for the shedule, I think weekly might be a tad too much, and maybe too hard to keep the quality/quantity on a certain level.

"I don't have time for podcasts, myself. Waste of time. I would offer them to my readers if I thought they were dunces."

"Not having time is fine - a lot of people listen to them whilst on commutes, or in breaks between writing, each to their own.

I'm not sure though, how listening to podcasts makes one a dunce... "

``` ============================= ```

Well, it's now clear to me I spoke out of turn, for there are some good ideas being kicked around, here. I based my impression on some awful podcasts in an altogether different subject area, in a galaxy far far away. Interest area podcasts can, I am sure, be done well. They need not (and ought not) consist of repeating commonplaces and in-group fashionable views, without offering any actual new information...

So, sorry. Don't mind me. You can't judge all pasta by a few bad plates of the stuff. I admit it. It seems to me the question is what's the value added for the hearer in exchange for the time spent listening? Good answer to that = good podcast, I would suppose.

maybe interviews with site creators, designers. You should have threads about design, or tips for promote writing skills, and even reading's tips ( I mean how to read effectively)