WebFiction Twitter Chat Book Club Launch (September)

Everybody probably knows by now I host a twitter chat on a Sunday evening. You can easily find it by searching #WebFictionChat on Twitter.

I've put a schedule on my website so you can see what upcoming topics are, and if anyone wants to suggest a theme or to offer questions for one of the topics I've already scheduled, I really can't express enough gratitude. (Trust me, ten original and interesting open questions every week is hard).

Next topic (August 14th) is heroes, and you can see the schedule and questions on my site

https://sanctionedanoriginalwebserial.wordpress.com/webfiction-chat-twitter/

The chat is for writers and readers, but its mainly just writers that get involved. There's usually about ten of us, and we get lost in tangents and have crazy discussions and it's a fun way to pass a Sunday evening, just talking about stories and craft and so on.

BOOK CLUB!!

Launching on the 3rd Sunday of September (and thereafter running on the 3rd Sunday of the month) I've decided to turn one night into a Book Club night. For webserials. We'll pick a different serial every month and announce it the month before, so anyone who hasn't read it has time to check it out. And then the author of the serial will join in the chat and answer any questions anyone asks (it's perfectly okay to answer with "sorry, no spoilers").

The questions will be book club questions - they might relate to your characters, your style, your themes, or your medium (eg wattpad, wordpress). They might even be about your marketing or your stats or why you decided to write a serial instead of a book. Who knows?

Anyway, in return for coming by and answering rapid fire questions for two hours, you'll get your serial tweeted and hashtagged by several people all over our little part of Twitter. And you'll probably have fun. Or not. Also, you should probably (definitely) mention on your site a few times in the weeks before this happens that you're doing this - if your readers come by and take part and tweet out to their followers, you might get more readers, or more interesting in-depth questions. I don't know.

If you're interested in being the author of a featured serial, let me know, so I can set up a list of who is going when.

Antlers (Colorado) by Marn will be the first ever #WebFictionChat BookClub WebSerial.

This is an excellent idea! I'm definitely up for this...

September - Antlers Colorado by Marn

October - Tales of the First by Shutsumon

November - Graves by Lerickson

December - Sanctioned by me.

If you want in, it's going to be 2017 now.

It feels a little presumptuous to nominate myself, but I wouldn't mind taking the January slot, if you're planning that far ahead?

I nominated myself, and I'm organizing it :p

It's certainly not the way a normal book club works, and in the future the readers might nominate serials, or vote for them, or something, for now presume away :)

I'll put you in for January.

I'm just egotistical enough to nominate myself.

Looking for one more test subject for February, and that will be more than enough to start with and to see if this idea works out or not.

If it does, then around December I can start thinking about who's getting the March onwards slots.

Gloomybear is in just in time for February.

@ChrysKelly I'll do a post about it on my blog. We should also encourage readers who join in to do reviews of that month's story around the time of the Twitter chat. I don't say this just because I'm October's story. :-)

So, uh, how about March? I might even have book 3 out (and more web serial arcs edited) by then. :D

Ha. Assuming this runs in March (which I will know by December) March is yours. I hoped you'd be interested, it gives scope for interesting questions about turning serials into novels, and by March some of your novels will have been out long enough that you should have a good bit of data about them. Plus all the usual character/plot/serial type questions :)

Assuming this runs in April, April is booked too, so you're not the only one sliding in after the end point.

Thanks for running these Twitter chats. They seem like they've been doing a decent job of pulling webfiction writers together. I'll have to jump in after my self-imposed Twitter break's over.

Ooh, nice list of serials for the book club. I've been meaning to read Antlers. This looks like the right amount of motivation to start doing so. I'll be sure to tune in on September 18th, even for a short while!

@OtherChrys I was actually planning to make a big post about my experiences, and everything I learned about launching web serials in ebook form a month or so from now - right after my big September promo. I invested so much time into learning all this stuff, might as well share it! :D

Also, feel free to ask me questions anytime, on Twitter or elsewhere. It doesn't have to wait until March.

This would be fun, but what time zone are you in? Might be a bit hard to participate from Australia.

The chat normally happens around 9-10-ish AM AEST, so it depends how busy your Monday morning is. I manage sometimes, but can't others.

WA checking in here but I'll give it a go and see if I can catch it. ;)

Hi Stable.

Chat starts at midnight GMT Sunday and lasts until 2AM Monday GMT. I'm not sure how far ahead of that you are.