Who's on Kindle?

I might be hopelessly behind the curve on this, since I've spent a lot of time seriously disconnected from people... but then, I thought the same thing about PayPal's micropayments and apparently other people missed out on that, too. (Search the forum if you're one of them. There was a post about them a year ago. Or just Google it.)

Does everybody who's doing serials or otherwise frequently-updating sites have an RSS feed, and is everybody putting their feeds on Kindle?

The first time the idea was proposed to me by a reader, I thought it was silly... Amazon would charge them to read my free content? And on a platform that -has- a web browser? Anyway, it sounded like a lot of work. So I didn't look into it at all until much later, and I've learned that it's almost no work at all, it gives the reader a much better experience reading on their Kindle than using the web browser, it's more convenient for people who tend to do their electronic reading on their Kindle anyways, and basically you never say "no" when a reader says "Can I give you money and make it easier for me to keep up with your work all at the same time?"

Getting your work into the Kindle Blogs store is not going to be the gateway to instant fame and fortune. You might occasionally have someone stumble across it by accident but there are a lot of other blogs they could stumble into first. Basically people have to be looking for it to find it. But if you have readers and they have Kindles, this could be worth your while.

(Potential downside: Your feed must have the full story, not a summary or excerpt. If you have pageview-based income, this can cut into it. You can possibly get around this by setting up two feeds, one that you link to on the site and one that you point Kindle towards. But really, while I used to distrust a full-story feed, I think the upsides in terms of making it easy for readers to keep up with you outweigh the downsides that might come from lost pageviews. And there are ways to embed ads in RSS feeds.)

Here's the website. Note that the website only works in IE and Firefox.

Hm. Well, some ad companies will allow you to place banner advertising in your rss feeds, so that may be a way to "monetize" your Kindle feed. To be honest I didn't know Kindle did that. I'm not a huge fan of the Kindle per se because it is a very proprietary device, but it's also a pretty big market...

I am not currently on Kindle, but as a Kindle owner and operator of an RSS feed I am definitely going to look into it now. I think it would suit the format of my story to a T.

Ubersoft, that's kind of where I am, too. I don't love Amazon as a company but I just bought a Kindle as my own reader of choice because I'm at a point in my career where I need to be able to market to them to grow.

A Kindle feed's already monetized to a greater degree than you'd get from the ad views of one person. The real concern (if there is one) is that other RSS readers that don't charge users a subscription fee and kick it back to you (as Kindle does), but ads would help there.

@Wysteria: I hope it helps you!

Hey.... People with a kindle can convert anything to kindle format and load it by emailing the file to themselves at their own email address they set up with the kinds.

Ubersoft, you're the techy tech here. How hard would it be to make a subscription service that someone signs up for, that pulls RSS feeds they have subscribed too, and just... emails the html file to their kindle email address, thus causing it to pop on automatically next time they check their device? If you do it that way, you can even add advertisements in that aren't part of the rss feed, allowing you to further target advertiser dollars by interests and locations. I can think of a dozen ways to market it... hmm.

That's doing a lot of work to do almost exactly what Kindle Publishing For Blogs does in the first place... and since you'd be competing/undercutting with a service they're pushing, I can see Amazon trying to find a way to squash that, and being Amazon, I can see them succeeding.

Also, doesn't Kindle charge people 15 cents a pop for emailed conversions? I just got mine and I'm pretty sure that's the case... you get two email addresses, one's labeled free and if you send something there they just email you back a converted document that you have to USB over.

if thats the case thats newish, when i first looked at getting a kindle, the emailing over the air load was free.

also, the kindle blog thing has a minimum price thats too high for my tastes (2.99 a month iirc) and 30% to the author SUUUUUUCKS.

it appears there is already a tool foe this

http://www.instapaper.com/#

It might be newish or they might just be dickish in their promoting, as I had to look around to find the fact that it costs money. They promote the fact that you can email documents to them for free conversion, they promote the fact that you can have the results loaded wirelessly, the fine print explains about the twain not meeting. I mean, it could be new, but since I didn't find the place where it says it costs $0.15 until after I'd done it a couple of times I wouldn't be surprised if the

The subscription cost is $1.99. Frankly, paying anything for free content seems like a ripoff to me, but after looking at the results I really can see why people who prefer to read on their Kindles would use it rather than the website, and it's not just because it can be read offline.

Yeah, 30% to the author does suck, but... eh. I don't get 60 cents a month worth of advertising revenue of a single user. I'm not thrilled that they make so much off it, but I can't see a reason to complain about the 60 cents.

I'm not trying to talk you out of pursuing an alternative, I'm just saying the existing system's there and it's easy.

I'm not on either, but I am interested in getting an RSS feed going, I'll look into it and let you know if I can find anything relatively simple.

I only use Kindle as another vector for STREET book sales. Once a book's laid out for print there's really no excuse not to make a Kindle version as well. It's actually where much of my business comes from nowadays; most months my Kindle sales are higher than print copies and sales from other ebook sites combined. Smashwords included.

Currently I don't see any reason to hook my RSS feed into Kindle. Selling complete books is working out quite well, and the feed's there to let people know when the story updates, nothing more or less.

Regards,

Ryan

Personally, I'm with Ryan, I'm waiting till completion to list on kindle. Looking into it, yeah, the 15 cent charge was added about a year and a half ago, used to be free. Then again, the Kindle one ONLY loaded through on the air, no usb to load.

That said, is there a reason, besides RSS, people can't set up simple old school mailing lists as well on their websites, and people subscribe to it using their conversion email address?